Spicy Fish Cake BokkEum

매운 어묵 볶음, MaeUn EoMuk BokkEum

EoMuk Bbokkeum is a Korean side dish. EoMuk means fish cake and Bokkeum means fried. In the past, most Korean students brought their own lunch box to school everyday since schools didn’t have a cafeteria like they do nowadays. EoMuk bokkeum was a common side dish for our lunch box, and because of that, it brings back memories of my school days. It is also a common side dish for homemade meals. If you like spicy food you can add more red pepper powder. Keep this side dish in the refrigerator and serve it with rice. I hope you enjoy this food. *^^*

Yield: 1 Quart

• Chaek (책) = Book
  • GaBang (가방) = Bag

• 1 Pack Fried Fish Cakes (14 oz)
  • 1 Cup Onion
  • ½ Cup Sweet Pepper
  • ⅓ Cup Carrot
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Sauce Ingredients

Cut the fish cakes into ½-inch pieces. Slice 1 onion, ½ sweet pepper, and ⅓ carrot.

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. After the pan gets hot, fry the fish cakes for 3 minutes.

Add the onion and cook for 2 more minutes.

Cook the sweet pepper and carrot for 20 seconds.

Set the fried fish cake aside for a while.

In a big pan, add and mix all of the ingredients for the sauce: 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp red pepper powder, 2 Tbsp corn syrup, 2 Tbsp cooking wine, 1 tsp sesame oil, 2 pinches black pepper, 1 tsp minced garlic, and 1 tsp sesame seeds (to garnish). Heat until it boils and then reduce heat to medium.

Add the fried fish cake and vegetables in the sauce. Add a little salt to taste.

Fry it for 5 more minutes on medium and turn off the heat. :)

Once you make this side dish, keep it in the refrigerator. You can enjoy this delicious side dish with rice, kimchi, and other Korean side dishes anytime. ;)

Comments

1. Zach says

I was wondering if I could sub the Red Pepper powder for Gochujang instead since I have it on hand, or will the fermentation of the gochujang throw off the flavor.

hi Zach,
      Some people use gochujang for this dish too.. I just prefer red pepper powder for mine.. so it’s personal taste. You can try it.. just adjust the amount of seasoning ingredients for your taste if you use gochujang.. thanks

2. Namratha says

annyeonghaseyo!

I watch a lot of korean dramas and had been waiting to try korean food .got an opportunity today to eat this side dish along with an amazing korean meal.thanks for uploading this recipe and others.your videos make it simpler to understand korean cooking..keep up the good work!! :grin:

hi Namratha,
      Nice to meet you. It is so cool that people from different country can get a common interest.. about culture.. food..etc. :) Hope you find many delicious Korean food though my blog. Thanks .. please visit here often. ;)

3. Olanike says

Hi Aeri, thanks so much for the recipe, I’m a Nigerian and I think I need an alternative to some of the recipes, cause I doubt if I can actually get all the ingredients mentioned, and specifically I would love to know the recipe for a particular fish cake that I saw in a movie-”boys over flower”

hi Olanike,
      Nice to meet you. what kind of fish cake.. are you asking? I didn’t watch all of boys over flower episode..so I don’t remember seeing it. It will be good if you can find a picture of it.

4. septi says

hello aeri…
    im from Indonesia..i want to ask..can we made fish cake by our own?not buy instant fishcake..if we can, can you share the recipe?
    thank you so much..i really enjoy all of your recipe.. :razz: :wink:

5. Pam says

Yummy! This is one of my best side dish at a Korean restaurant. I’ve always wanted to learn how to make them! BTW where can I find fish cake?? (:

6. carolbeth says

We are American but LOVE Korean food. I’ve never cooked it before (other than a couple of simple side dishes) but I came across your videos on YouTube, now your website, and I absolutely love them and am itching to pick a few dishes to try this weekend. My husband’s favorite side dish we eat at our favorite restaurant looks very much like this dish minus the red because it’s not spicy at all but it’s not really sweet either and yet there’s a lot of yummy flavor. Does that sound familiar, and if so, is there a specific recipe for that? By the way, I just ordered your new cookbook and can’t wait for it to arrive! (I’d love to see some ‘adult’ bento boxes and some bento boxes that my 10 and 12 year old boys could take to lunch at school. My sons said they would like to take them as long as they aren’t embarrassing (those little kiddie bento boxes I’ve seen on YouTube). That made me laugh.
    Thank you so much for your videos and recipes. You have the sweetest voice! :grin:

hi carolbeth,
      I’m very sorry for late reply. ^^: About your question, I guess you tried the fried fish cake with soy sauce seasoning.. You can check my recipe for it too. hehe thanks

7. Lazarini says

I did this recipe today just before the GamJa JoRim that I just recently finished. The MaeUn EoMuk BokkEum looks exactly like in your picture. It’s so good. I’m not sure if it suppose to taste like that cuz I’ve only had non spicy fish cakes in a nearby traditional Korean restaurant. But, I assure you all that it taste delicious. I just need some steam white rice and Kalbi and I’ll be all set. They’re not done yet but I’m sure cooking it right now as I type. So, yeah! We’re having a Korean feast thanks to you Aeri. Thanks a lot!!!! :razz:

8. Em says

I had this for the first time a few days ago, and I loved it! It was my first time trying authentic Korean food, rather than trying the recipes on my own and hoping I did them right, haha. Now I really want to try this one on my own. I’m so glad you have a recipe for it here.

9. Lynn says

I’m a new fan of yours. Was looking for a recipe for making this spicy fish cake side dish which I had eaten at a Korean restaurant here in sgp. Found your link last night and couldn’t wait to try making it. Although I don’t have exactly the same ingredients as your recipe, I’m happy that it turn out well. I replaced the fish cake with our local fish cake, corn syrup with sugar + water. I wonder why mine didn’t turn out as red as yours or those I ate at the restaurant. Should I have use red pepper paste?
    I made the non spicy version for my gal too and it was well received too.
    Thank you for your detailed sharing! The video, photos and Korean words explanation are very useful.

10. Jay says

I’ve recently moved to Korea and while I’m a good cook back home I’m completely confused by Korean food! Thank you for you English language recipes, I’m really enjoying them!

And to the person above, I know this is a bit late, but corn syrup is only unhealthy when consumed in huge quantities like in sodas and juices. When you use it in moderation as a thickening agent it’s fine!

11. Rei says

Hello Aeri
    I tried this recipe today, it was very nice! What I love about your recipes is that you use simple and healthy ingredients, and the dish still turns out tasty~
    Thanks! :grin:

12. zenith says

Since its usual for Koreans to serve a number of side dishes for a meal, do they prepare it fresh everyday? Or they make a batch and keep them in the fridge to be eaten over a few days?

How long can this spicy fried fish cake be kept in the fridge?

Thanks for a wonderful blog and keep up the great work! Everytime I come here, I find new things and I don’t ever get bored! :)

hi zenith,
      We have different kinds of side-dishes.. as you mentioned.. some ..we make them fresh for each meal.. some you can keep in the refrigerator and eat for several days.. like this fish cake side-dish.. you can keep this spicy fried fish cake more than one week.. if you still have left..hehe hope to see you more often.

13. Wakkun says

Happy New Year 2010! I discovered your website a few days ago and everything looks so good!

I got to visit the korean grocery store today and couldn’t resist picking up some fishcake sheets.

Made this tonight and it was yummy! I over put a bit of the pepper powder and it was a little too spicy for me, but I will be able to adjust next time.

Can’t wait to try out more recipes!

PS: Congrats also on your baby.

hi Wakkun,
      Nice to meet you !!! I’m happy to hear that you liked this dish. Yes, please try more Korean dishes.
      Thanks for your comment. Happy new year :)

14. claire says

hihi ! thanks for all the wonderful recipes you provided ^^ is it okay if i leave out the corn syrup? Oh, and is this dish better to eat cold or hot? i tried a similar dish at a korean restaurant and it was served rather cold . Thanks! (:

Hi criza,
      aha.. corn syrup gives some texture for this dish… a little sticky..and thick sauce… but you can substitute it to sugar ^^ it’s both good when it’s cool and warm. thanks

15. cruiser says

No, I should thank you for sharing your great recipes. The only time I get to eat many of the food on your blog is either at Korean restaurants or buy prepackaged at stores.

• Aeri says

Hi, cruiser
      It’s my pleasure..hehe
      Now you can cook some Korean dishes at home… save money…but yummy.. right ?? ;) thanks ~~~

• Aeri says

Hi, cruiser
      Oh~~~ you left many comments for me. Thank you very much~~ I’m happy that your side-dish turned out good. :)

p.s I like the expression “for my little one”….hehe