Spicy Chicken GalBi

닭갈비, DakGalBi

This is a spicy Korean stir-fried chicken dish. If you have any question about the ingredients, please ask me.

• SonTop (손톱) = Fingernail
  • BahlTop (발톱) = Toenail

• 2 Green Onions
  • ½ Cup Onion
  • ⅛ Cabbage (½ Cup)
  • ½ Cup Sweet Potato
  • 10 Rice Cakes
  • 6 Sesame Leaves
  • ¼ Cup Water
  • ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
  • ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
  • Some Sesame Seeds

Chicken Ingredients

• 1 Chicken Breast (9 oz)
  • ½ Tbsp Cooking Wine (or Water)
  • ¼ tsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 Pinch Black Pepper

Sauce Ingredients

In a bowl, add the chicken, ½ Tbsp of cooking wine, ¼ tsp of minced garlic, and a little black pepper. Set it aside while you are preparing other ingredients.

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce: 1½ Tbsp red pepper powder, 2 Tbsp red pepper paste, 2 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1¼ Tbsp soy sauce, ½ Tbsp of sugar, ⅛ tsp of black pepper, 1 Tbsp of cooking wine, and ¼ tsp of minced ginger. Mix everything together.

Mix 2 spoons of the sauce into the bowl with the chicken. Leave the rest of the sauce for later. Cut 2 green onions into 1-inch pieces. Slice ½ of an onion into ½-inch pieces. Slice half of a sweet potato and then cut the slices in half. Discard the cabbage stem, and then cut it into 1-inch squares. Fold 6 sesame leaves in half, remove the stems, and then cut them into ½-inch strips.

In a heated pan, add ½ Tbsp of olive oil and ½ Tbsp of sesame oil.

Add the cabbage, sweet potatoes, onion, and the rice cakes. Then, put the chicken on top of the vegetables

Pour ¼ cup of water in it, so that it does not be too dry. Occasionally stir.

When it starts to boil, add all of the leftover sauce into it. Fry until the chicken is almost cooked.

Add the green onions and sesame leaves. Fry until all of the ingredients are cooked.

Lastly, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

Enjoy! :)

Comments

1. WaitingforBaby Teeter says

This recipe is amazing! My husband and I lived in Cheong-ju, South Korea and since being home we have been unable to find a more authentic version of Dak Galbi….until now! I replaced the white sugar with honey and it was so delicious (maybe even too delicious!). Thanks for the recipe!

hi WaitingforBaby Teeter,
      Hurray ~~ :) hehe.. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed my recipe. Especially you lived in Korea, so you know the authentic flavor of Korean food. Thanks for your comment.

2. Georgie says

I made this today but veganised it by using mock duck instead of chicken & swapped the water with dashima shiitake mushroom broth, with helps to replace the flavour of the meat. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

3. Victor says

Hello,

I love your recipe, it tastes very authentic for Chuncheon Dakgal-bi (I went to Kangwon National University for School). Just one point, you do not need to add water to the recipe, water comes from the cabbage. No Chuncehon (or Wonju) restaurant adds water to the dakgal-bi when it is cooked.

My wife and made the recipe without water and it worked wonderfully. Thank you for making the recipe available. Far better than the recipes I found on Naver!

4. Beehuah says

Hi~~ thanks for the recipe I got to know bout ur web page thru a blog.. It’s really tasty n nice my family loves it so much..in the same time I also make the kimchi fried rice..it’s awesome!!!! Ur recipe really tasted good… Thanks again :lol:

5. Thuy Tran says

Hi Arie!
    Finally I found some sesame leaves and I’ve done this spicy chicken dish. It’s taste a lot different with sesame leave. Thanks to your wonderful recipe. I love this dish so muchhhhh… :)

6. Thuy Tran says

Hi Aeri!
    I haven been watching for recipes. It helped me a lot to satisfied me when I can not go out to eat.
    Thanks a lot for your all precious recipes. :wink:
    Today I’m trying to make this recipe. But I can’t find sesame leaves. Can I make it without sesame leaves because I couldnt find them in Korean groceries.

hi Thuy Tran,
      Sorry for late reply. About your question..if you don’t have sesame leaves .. you have to skip them..hehe it gives good flavor to this dish..but it will be still delicious without it. thanks

7. Stephanie says

Hi Aeri!

I just made this for dinner and everyone loved it! Perfect for those who really like their food spicy!

Thank you!

8. Sana says

I love your website soooooooooooooo much. It really help me developed an interest in making Korean food. When I visited Korea, I have the above dish with noodles. My friend told me that is 쫄면 but it looks like instant noodles to me… What kind of noodles I should use if I make this?

hi Sana,
      Sorry… I can’t guess well what kind of noodles you tried… usually dakgalbi doesn’t have noodles that I know of… hmm.. sorry..

9. Jessica says

Dear Aeri,

I absolutely love your website! I’ve pinned some of your recipes on Pinterest and I’m going to try out a lot of your recipes. Thank you so much! :D

10. claire says

been using your recipe everytime I cook dakgalbi.. easy to follow and definitely tasty…^^ better than any of what I’ve tried before..^^

11. jobeth says

hi aeri, can i skip the curry here as i can’t see any of korean curry here in hk? will it affect the taste? pls reply ~ kamsahamnida~

hi jobeth,
      I think… that the korean curry is a secret ingredient for this food. You can still enjoy this without curry..but the authentic flavor has curry taste in it. thanks

12. Jonathan's mom says

Hi, Aeri! I have been looking for a good recipe for dak galbi and I can’t wait to try this out. Is the curry powder just the usual one you can buy at the American grocery store spice section or do I need to go to a Korean grocery store to buy it? Thanks!

hi Jonathan’s mom,
      Korean curry powder taste totally different from the one at the American grocery store.. so please try Korean one for this recipe. thanks :)

Wow! This kind of food is what we love to eat especially during cold weather. Since Korean store is just nearby of place, it is no problem to buy the ingresdients. Thank you for your column. I will be on watch to your next recipe. Good luck

14. Andrew Hoiberg says

Thanks so much for this recipe. I have gotten this bug to eat Korean food lately after making some kimchi. This meal really hit the spot, although I am still unsure about the rice cakes, they had a different texture than I thought they would. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes, these sites are better than any Korean cookbooks I have seen. Thanks again.