Beef SanJeok

산적, SanJeok

San Jeok is a Korean holiday food. We usually make this food with family and relatives one day before a holiday, and serve it the next day. The color and taste combination of this food is very good. Depending on your tastes, you can skip the crab or add different kinds of vegetables, such as mushrooms, carrots, or zucchini. If you are a vegetarian, I recommend using mushrooms instead of beef (oyster mushrooms will be the best). Use the same sauce to marinate mushrooms, cook them until they get enough bulgogi sauce flavor, and then skewer them instead of the beef.

Yield: 2½ Dozen Skewers

• HaengBok (행복) = Happy
  • BulHaeng (불행) = Unhappy

Beef Ingredients

Cut the beef into ½x½x3 inch pieces.

In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the beef until the sugar dissolves. Then, add 2 cups of beef into the sauce. Set it aside while you are preparing the other ingredients.

Cut the 5 Korean crabsticks in half. Divide the cut crabsticks into 3 groups. Cut the green onions to about the same length as the crabsticks. If the white parts of green onions are too thick, then cut them in half.

In a heated pan, cook the marinated beef until the beef has completely cooked.

Put the ingredients on the toothpicks in this order: green onion, crab stick, white part of a green onion, beef, and green onion again.

If you don’t like crab, skip it and just use the green onions and beef.

Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them. Prepare ½ cup of flour in another bowl.

Cover the skewered beef with flour first.

Then cover it with the egg.

Fry in a lightly oiled pan. When the eggs become golden brown, it is done. ^^

Wow, the color is very pretty. :) Thanks and enjoy!

Comments

1. grace park says

dear aeri,

i tried your beef san jerk recipe tonight! my husband and kids devoured them!! will have to make more next time, for sure!! i have a request, could you give your recipe for chicken salad sandwich? by the way, your website is my go-to site for korean food. i am convinced of your culinary masterhood!!!

thanks much :)

grace

2. morgen says

You said that you made this one day before holiday. You mean you prepare all ingredients one day before or you cook them one day before and then serve next day? Could you tell more detail? Thanks a lot!!

hi morgen,
      You completely cook them one day before….and whenever you serve them.the other day.. reheat on the pan.. ^^ even you can just serve cold also..

3. Shar says

Hi Aeri, My husband and I just came back from Korea and I am in LOVE with the food!! Lost some weight while eating all your great recipes and I love your step by steps. I will try this because it looks de-lish. Thanks so much for what you do. :lol:

4. Fabio says

Hi Aeri!
    Because of your great recipes now I can make a few korean dishes!
    I’ll try to make this, it’s so beautiful!
    Just a question. If a want to eat it after a few hours (not warm) will the beef still good?

Regards

Fabio

5. ranie says

hi aeri ^^
    may i change cooking wine into another for this recipe? if it is possible to change it,do u hve suggestion?

6. Christina says

hey i was wondering if you could use something besides green onion? like potato or carrots because i was thinking of making this for a geography project and bringing it to class :)

hi Christina,
      I love the green onion flavor for this dish..I think it gives very good taste to it. but..if you don’t want green onion.. or have to use some other vegetables..hm… maybe.. zucchini or carrot ??? I’m not sure about potato.. But I still recommend you try green onion..hehe thanks :)

7. Jennie says

I saw this on a Korean tv show I watch online! It’s called Family Outing. I watch it regularly! I didn’t realize that it was pretty easy to make! Thanks so much for the recipe!