Spicy Chewy Myeon

쫄면, JjolMyeon

Today, I will make a popular Korean noodle dish, JjolMyeon (쫄면). The letter “Jjol (쫄)” came from the first letter of the Korean word “쫄깃 쫄깃한,” which means very chewy and elastic. The letter “myeon (면)” means noodle in Korean. If you are familiar with names of Korean foods, you will remember “myeon” from jja-jang-myeon, ra-men, or nang-myeon. ;) So, jjol-myeon is very chewy noodle with a sweet, sour, and spicy sauce along with some fresh vegetables. You can skip the egg if you don’t like hard-boiled eggs. Enjoy! :D

• Jib (집) = House
  • HahkGyo (학교) = School

• 2 Packs Jjol Myeon Noodles
  • 2 Handfuls Bean Sprouts (KongNaMul)
  • ⅓ Seedless Cucumber
  • ½ Carrot
  • ¼ Cabbage
  • 1 Hard Boiled Egg

Sauce Ingredients

Make 1 hard-boiled egg.

Remove any bad parts from the bean sprouts and wash them. Cover 2 handfuls of bean sprouts with water in a pan, and boil them for 10 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid. Don’t lift the lid until the bean sprouts are finished cooking otherwise, the bean sprouts will have a raw bean smell and taste.

Rinse them in cold water and drain the water.

Julienne the cucumber and carrot into same length pieces. Slice the cabbage thinly. Cut the hard boiled egg half.

In the boiling water, add the jjol myeon noodles and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.

Wash the noodles in cold water twice and drain the water.

In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp red pepper paste, 2 Tbsp vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp red pepper powder, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp sesame seeds, and 1 tsp sesame oil. If you don’t want yours spicy, then skip the red pepper powder.

Place the noodles on a plate, and put cucumber, carrot, cabbage, and the bean sprouts on top. Pour 2 to 3 spoons of sauce on top of the vegetables. Add the egg on top of the sauce. Mix all ingredients together before eating. It looks spicy and delicious~~~ :D Enjoy!

Comments

1. Lindsay says

I made this for my family tonight. I could not find jjol myeon noodles so I just used spaghetti instead. It turned out very well and everyone loved it. Thanks for the great recipe.

2. YeonJi says

I remember having this dish when I was very young. My mom warned me that it was going to be spicy, but I still ordered it at the restaurant. It was really spicy, but that’s what made it so good. I can’t believe it’s been over seven years since I’ve had this dish.

Thank you so much for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it (I’ll be going to a Korean grocery store soon and I’ll definitely look for the ingredients there!)

hi Helen Kwak,
      the unique part of the jjolmyun noodles is.. it’s very chewy… if you don’t have to have that special texture..and just want to try some noodle with the sauce .. I will say.. try thick spaghetti noodles.. as I said.. the texture will be different… but the sauce will be good.. thanks

• Helen Kwak says

Thank you! I ended up buying the Jjolmyun noodles, and they tasted great! I made them for my mom for breakfast. She’s often really busy, so she doesn’t cook much, despite loving Korean food. Anyways, thank you for the recipe! Your recipes are amazing and so helpful! I especially liked your Jjambbong and 부추전!

3. Hlee says

Aeri,

I love this dish. It must be one of my favorite dishes. I could eat this everyday. Thank you so much for the recipe. It was so easy to make and the sauce is just delish! I just went to the Korean store today to buy some more noodles!

Hope you are doing well with the baby. Enjoy, because they grow so fast!

4. Yelena says

Hello, Aeri!! thanl you very much for your recepies)) i tried Jjol Myeon and it was delicious! im gonna go home very soonish and ill try to surprise my family with South Korean recepies, because even though im originally korean we cook korean food in a diffirent way. thanks a lot, videos are inspiring)))

• Aeri says

Hi, Yelena
      Nice to meet you !!! :)
      You are very welcome ~~ I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed your jjol myeon. Good job !! hehe..
      I hope to see you more often here.
      Have a great weekend !!!

5. james says

wow, you are really putting so much work on sharing these recipes. i know it’s not easy to cook and take pictures AND video (don’t even get me started on editing!). it’s so easy to look at these entries but because I’ve tried doing this before I appreciate it that much more. am i correct in thinking you do this all by yourself? i know i joke about you having a lighting crew in your kitchen but I’m serious when I ask if you do this all by yourself. it takes me all day just to prepare something much less document it in pictures and video. if i blogged about every meal i probably would never eat again because i won’t have time to. hehe

• Aeri says

Hi, James ^^
      Yes, it’s lots of work to do, picture, video at the same time while I’m cooking. Yes, most time I do it by myself (Taking pictures and videos) But my husband helps me to correct English and some problems for webpage. haha you are funny.. never eat again because you will not have time.. thanks for comment !! have a good weekend..and I’m waiting for more your Korean cooking news !!! hehe..