Beef & Vegetable BiBimBap

비빔밥, BiBimBap

Today, I will make bibimbap. To be honest, I feel like bibimbap is a difficult Korean food to make since it needs a lot of ingredients. However because it is so delicious, it will have you comming back for more again. Plus, it is very healthy. ;) Bibim means ‘mixing’ and Bap means ‘rice’ in Korean. So, you mix rice, various fried vegetables, raw vegetables, meat, egg, dried seaweed, and a special sauce. If you are a vegetarian, you can substitute the beef with mushrooms you like.

• SootGahRahk (숫가락) = Spoon
  • JutGahRahk (젓가락) = Chopsticks

• ¼ Cup MooSaengChae (Radish-sidedish)
  • ¼ Cup Kimchi
  • 2 Handfulls Bean Sprouts (KongNaMul)
  • ⅓ Onion
  • ⅓ Carrot
  • ⅓ Zucchini
  • ⅓ Cucumber
  • 2-3 Leaves Lettuce
  • ½ Green Onion
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Dried Seaweed
  • 2 Bowls Cooked Rice

Meat Ingredients

Gosari Ingredients

Sauce Ingredients

In a bowl, mix ¼ cup of ground beef, ½ tsp of soy sauce, ½ tsp of sugar, ½ tsp of cooking wine, ½ tsp of sesame oil, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 pinch of salt, and 1 pinch black pepper all together. Set it aside while you are preparing the other ingredients.

Add the boiled bean sprouts, ½ tsp of sesame oil, and 1 pinch of salt. Mix well.

1. We call this fern ‘gosari’ in Korea.
    If you buy dried gosari, soak one handful of gosari in water over night.
    If the gosari is still not soft, then boil it in water
    until it becomes soft, before you fry it.

2. Cut it into 3 inch pieces.
    In a pan, add the gosari, ¼ of sliced onion, 2 tsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sesame oil, ½ tbsp of olive oil, and ½ tsp of minced garlic.
    Fry for 10 minutes.

1. Julienne ⅓ of a carrot and ⅓ of a zucchini to the same size.
    Slice ⅓ of an onion thinly. Cut ½ of a green onion thinly.
    Fry the green onion with a little bit of salt for 5 seconds.

2. In the same way, fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 20 seconds.
  3. Fry the zucchini for 1 minute with some salt.
  4. Fry the carrot for 30 second with some salt.

Fry the marinated beef until the beef is completely cooked.

1. Fry one flat egg with a pinch of salt.
  2. Slice it thinly.

1. Cut ¼ cup of kimchi into small pieces.
  2. Fry with a little bit of oil for 2 minutes.
    You can add a little bit of sugar if you want.

Cut 1 sheet of dried seaweed with scissors.

1. Cut 2-3 leaves of lettuce thinly.
  2. Julienne ⅓ of a cucumber thinly.

This is the radish side dish, MooSaengChae.
I already posted a recipe on how to make it,
so please check that recipe out.

To make the sauce, mix 3 tbsp of red pepper paste, ¼ tsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of vinegar, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of sesame oil, ¾ tsp of sesame seeds, and ½ tsp of minced garlic.

All of the ingredients are ready, it’s time to serve and eat. :D

In a large bowl, (you can use your mixing bowl) place 1 cup of cooked rice, all of the vegetables, kimchi, egg, and dried seaweed. Put the beef in the center. Then, pour 2-3 spoons of sauce on top of the beef. You can adjust the amount of the sauce, depending on your taste. If you like spicy foods and want a lot of spicy sauce for your bibimbap, double the sauce recipe.

Mix all of the ingredients and eat. Enjoy! :)

Comments

1. Lenach says

Hi, can i use white vinegar instead of brown rice vinegar or apple vinegar? All i have at home is white vinegar.

2. amanda says

hi aeri! i love your site. i am looking for a bibimbap recipe to try and this one looks good. i have a question though — in a cookbook i have, it is called “bimbim pap” – is there a difference?

hi amanda,
      Thanks for your comment. Bibim pap is the same thing with bibimbap.. it’s just different way of romanized Korean words ^^:; Thanks

3. Sunny says

It was sooo incredibly delicious and simple! My first korean experience at a restaurant was bibimbap, and they served it in a hot stone bowl with a raw egg on top so the egg would cook around the grains as you mix. Now that I’ve been conquered by your bibimbap, I think I might invest in those stone bowls! Here is a picture of my bibimbap following your recipe! http://instagram.com/p/hR7Lr9MI2U/. Thank you so much, your website is awesome!

4. Brian says

Hi, Aeri,

I have lived several times in Korea for brief periods. Bibimbap has always been one of my favorite dishes….I am so glad to have found your recipe. Aside from the extensive preparation, it is really easy, and SO delicious! Thanks for posting videos of the process, too!

I love your site and have shared it with many friends. For the record, your English is very good–much better than my Korean!

Brian

5. Sherry says

Hi, I also like the dolsot bibimbap with the crispy rice. As I am still in Korea, is a dolsot a special pan that I can purchase here? Where would you go to purchase one? Would Lotte Mart or E-mart have them?
    Sherry

• Brian says

Hi, Sherry,

I found dolsots for sale at a store in the Namdaemun market. Don’t forget to buy the coaster, or you’ll never get the pot to the table!

The hardest part for me–which I’m sure will improve with practice–is assembling all the vegetables quickly once the pot and the rice are sizzling.

Enjoy!

6. Andree says

I tried this recipe tonight, for me and my boyfriend, and we found it so delicious, and filling! I will absolutely do this recipe again. I didn’t have all the main ingredients nor the gosari, but it turned out nice.

I used sriracha sauce instead of the red pepper paste and it was good

I’m so happy I found your blog :grin:

7. Reader says

I learned a nice way to do this from a restaurant owner. If you are making dolsot bibimbap, and you like the crispy rice on the bottom (as I do), you can make it as follows. First, you need a lid that fits your dolsot well enough to make a seal (keeps the steam inside). Put a teaspoon or two of sesame oil in the bottom before you put the rice and everything in. The last ingredient you put is a raw egg, on top of the other stuff. We usually make a basin of sorts with the vegetables, etc., to hold the raw egg. Cover with the lid and heat the bowl over a medium flame. When the egg white begins to show signs of cooking (i.e., it turns from clear to opaque white), the bibimbap is ready to serve. If you use too high of a flame, the crispy rice on the bottom will be burned; you need just enough heat to make it brown when the egg is cooked.

• Brian says

Dear Reader,

The technique I learned was to heat the dolsot with only sesame oil and the rice, and assemble the rest once the rice begins to sizzle. That puts the cook in a bit of a time-crunch! I like your way better….

Brian

8. Ashima says

lovely video and nice presentation. I do not have GoChuJang at home. Can this be replace with any other chilli sauce like sambal oelek?

Thanks

hi Ashima,
      Sorry I don’t know what is sambal oelek like.. so can’t answer your question weill. This dish’s the most important part is the sauce.. and gochujang has own unique flavor .. so if you can get.. I recommend you try gochujang..and if you can’t.. and still want to try that chili sauce you have.. and please try and let me know how it turned out. sorry for poor answer again.

hi Benjamin,
      well..i think it’s depend on the Chinese grocery store.. because..even some Korean grocery stores don’t sell gosari..^^ thanks

9. Bo says

:eek: so delicious but so much work! I think I’ll get in my car and go k-restaurant, I love bi bim bap in a stone bowl with crispy rice and then crack a raw egg and mix it up …… Heaven!

10. angela says

i made this two days ago and my boyfriend and i LOVED it so much! so when i came home from a bad day of work, all i could think of was “a nice bowl of bibimbap will fix everything” hehe and DID IT?! it was so good! my boyfriend asked me to make him some as well!

i love your bibimbap recipe, aeri! it’s heaven sent! it’s my new favorite! :grin:

11. Vivian says

Your site is really helpful! Thanks ;)

I was wondering if it’s necessary to put the gosari in bibimbap….