Spicy Pork BokkEum

제육 볶음, JeYuk BokkEum

JeYuk BokkEum is a Korean spicy fried pork dish. It is as popular as BulGoGi in Korea. Once you marinate this pork, you can keep some uncooked in the freezer to fry and eat later. Like BulGoGi and SamGyumSal (Korean grilled meats), we wrap the cooked meat with lettuce and different kinds of vegetables: garlic, onion, carrots, cucumbers, sesame leaves, napa cabbage, and so on. Try this awesome dish soon. :D

• JeYuk (제육) = Pork
  • DwaeJiGoGi (돼지고기) = Another name for pork

• 2½ Cups Pork (Shoulder or Loin)
  • ½ Onion
  • 2 Green Onions
  • 1 Green Hot Pepper
  • 1 Red Hot Pepper

Pork Ingredients

Sauce Ingredients

Cut 2½ cups of pork (shoulder or loin) thinly.

To get rid of the bad meat flavor, and make the pork tender, add 1 Tbsp of cooking wine, ¼ tsp of salt, and ¼ tsp of black pepper. Set it aside for at least 10 minutes.

Cut ½ of an onion into ½-inch pieces. Cut 2 green onions and 2 peppers into 1-inch pieces.

Grind ¼ of a sweet apple in a mixer. You can use 4 Tbsp of applesauce instead. Depending on your tastes, you can use other kinds of sweet fruit juice such as pineapple, Asian pear, orange, or tangerine. I like using an apple. Fruit juice not only gives good flavor, but it also makes your pork tender.

In a bowl, combine the pork, onion, 5 Tbsp of red pepper paste, 1 Tbsp of red pepper powder, 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of minced garlic, 4 Tbsp juice from an apple (or apple sauce), 2 Tbsp of sugar, and ½ Tbsp of sesame oil.

Mix all of the ingredients together.

Cover it with plastic wrap, and marinate it for at least 3 hours.

Pour the marinated pork in a slightly oiled pan. Fry it until the meat is completely cooked on medium-high.

Add the green onions and hot peppers. Fry 1 or 2 more minutes, then turn off the heat.

Wow, it looks very delicious, doesn’t it? ;)

You can wrap this meat with lettuce, sliced garlic, sesame leaves, and/or cucumber and also eat it with your rice. Enjoy! :D

Comments

1. Emmanuel says

Last month I wanted to cook jeyukdoepbap because it made 2 years that I left Seoul and I was really missing the taste, so I asked a Korean friend and she gave me your blog.
    Today I am cooking your recipe for the second time (the first time I didn’t have applesauce), now Im trying with applesauce but I don’t have cooking wine so I put a little bit of white wine, I guess it is fine too…
    Tonight my Korean friend Chris Lee will come and eat the jeyukdoepbap with me and he is bringing Soju, I hope he will like it. I’ll keep you post!

2. Lil' Abs says

Yay, I just happened to find your blog when I decided to make this dish for the first time, missing it from the days I lived in Korea. Delicious. We loved it, as did my neighbour who also made it. I’m now searching for other dishes to try. This week it’ll be 안동쯤닭 or 김치찌개…yum yum. Thank you for putting all the time into this blog, I can see I’ll be coming back often.

3. Marian says

This is a favorite of mine. I noticed a little typo in the directions. You typed “chilly” peppers; it made me smile though – I thought THAT pepper would be good for people who have a low chili-burn threshold. kk kk kk! Thanks for your recipes. I’m still in the process of adding them to my recipe file. It’s taking a while; there’s just so much to choose from!

4. Bee says

I tried your spicy pork dish last night, was delicious! I only used 4 tbsp instead of 5 tbsp of gochujang but it was already considered very spicy for us. :)

5. Tiana says

I’m a vegetarian so I made this with soy steak strips that you find next to all the preserved vegetables. It tasted so delectable! I’ve never had anything like this before. Looking forward to trying some more recipes.

6. Romaxfer says

What are some good side dishe that could go with this besides the white rice…. spinach? sprouts?egg?gusari?

Also can one do the same recepie with chicken? How much would the taste be altered? And adding julienne carrots, zuccini and bell pepper wuld this work ???

• Romaxfer says

I still have the question about the side dishes…
      Now I thought I should post about my experience with doing the exact same recipe with chicekn instead of pork. So the final result is…..PORK taste soooooooooo much better than chicken. I also added green bell pepper and julienne carrots and it made it delicious. When I did the recipe with chicken the taste was good but, it didnt feel right. Pork 100% and chicken 80%-75%. Your choice ;)

hi Romaxfer,
      everything you mentioned sounds good for the side-dish.. my suggestion will be..since you got the spicy and meat dish.. something cool.. or mild.. or can refresh your mouth will be good.. like pickled cucumber..or pickled radish.. bean sprout or mung bean sprount dish.. ^^ thanks

7. James says

It is as popular as BulGoGi in Korea. or add a little more red pepper paste for it. Thank you so much for sharing all these great recipes with us. although i must admit i made a mistake. i added some more soy sauce and sugar to even it out. the combination of ingredients for flavor can be changed. you might want to adjust the other ingredients a little too depending on your taste. there is slightly different taste. just I heard dark soy sauce is more for coloring.and light soy sauce is more for salty flavor. you can figure out to use both of them.Chinese or Japanese cooking wine. will work same with Korean cooking wine. hehe assa I got an another sweet reader. beef can be more tough than pork. I am glad that I can make it at home. How long can I keep the meat uncooked in the fridge before it goes bad. usually I reply to all comments.then I missed yours and found it today. so sorry about this late reply. You can keep it in the freezer for a long time. until it gets too bad freezer buns. Thanks for your hugs and adoration. you make so many different kinds of sound. That must be popular over there. taste will be better and I guess you can save some money also.Hope you like my post on today thanks.