Beef GalBi

소갈비, SoGalBi

In Korea, we love to grill marinated meat (beef, pork, or chicken). There are two main flavors for marinated meat. One is spicy, which uses mainly red pepper paste. The other one is sweet & salty which is similar to a BBQ flavor. That type uses mainly soy sauce, pear, honey, sugar, apple, kiwi, and etc. Many restaurants have indoor grills at each table so that customers can grill their own meat themselves and enjoy the fresh cooked flavor. Today, I will show you a very popular marinated meat dish called GalBi. It takes time to marinate the meat, but otherwise, it is very simple and easy to make. You can freeze some of the marinated meat to grill at a later time. Enjoy! :D

• So (소) = Cow
  • Mahl (말) = Horse

• 2½ lb. Beef Ribs (10 Pieces)
  • 1 Asian Pear (10 oz)
  • ½ Cup Onion

Sauce Ingredients

Soak 2½ lb of beef ribs in water for about 2 or 3 hours to get rid of the blood.

Change the water every hour when some of the blood leaches out. 2 or 3 hours later, rinse the ribs and drain the water.

Cut 1 Asian pear and ½ of an onion.

Grind the pear and onion together in a blender.

Pour the pear and onion mixture on to the beef ribs.

Mix the sauce with the ribs and set them aside for an hour. This will help get rid of the strong meat flavor and make the meat sweet and tender.

In a bowl, combine ½ cup of soy sauce, 2 Tbsp of cooking wine, 1½ Tbsp of minced garlic, 1 tsp of minced ginger, 1½ Tbsp of sugar, 1½ Tbsp Honey, 1 Tbsp of sesame oil, ¼ tsp of black pepper, and 3 Tbsp of finely chopped green onions. Mix everything until the sugar and honey dissolves.

1 hour later, pour the sauce mixture on the beef ribs and mix again.

Cover the ribs with plastic wrap and marinate them for a day in the refrigerator. Flip over all the ribs once or twice while it is marinating.

The next day, grill some of the marinated beef ribs with a little of the extra sauce on a heated pan or grill.

Cook them until the ribs are well done.

We enjoyed eating this GalBi. My husband had tried Beef GalBi once in very popular restaurant in GwangJu, Korea. He told me my GalBi tastes similar to the one from that restaurant. ASSA! :D I hope you can enjoy this GalBi as much as we did. Thanks!

Comments

1. Rocio says

Hi!! Thank you for the recipe! I am from Spain and my boyfriend is Korean and this is one of his favorite foods!! I am making now the preparations to cook it tomorrow! I hope everything goes well and it tastes good~ Yours looks sooooo delicious!!! ;D

2. tricia says

Hi! I went Seoul for the first time and got blown away by the amazing beef galbi. They were incredibly delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe because I hope to relive korean cuisine at home :)

3. Amileah says

Hi, I want to marinate then freeze this meat but after I freeze it how do i cook it? Should I defrost it overnight in the fridge or do I cook it while its still frozen? I’m new to cooking so I have no idea haha…

4. Amy Kim says

hello Aeri
    i love to cook with your recipes as my husband loves their taste i have tryed other peoples recipes but he is very picky. i your style reminds him of the flavors he grew up with in mokpo
    thanks i alway look foward to new recipes to try

Oh..sorry but soy sauce is the main flavor for this.. so.. maybe not this recipe.. you can make something else for him? sorry..btw.. it is so sweet you try to cook something for your dad ^^

5. Sonyea says

Thank you so much for your website! I’m half korean and so many of these recipes remind me of my childhood. :grin:

6. Mike Delepine says

Aeri,
    I made this tonight for my wife and she enjoyed it as much as I. Would also like to say you have a wonderful website. I look for many different recipes on a lot of sites, but yours by far is the best I’ve seen. You have excellent pictures of each dish, and the steps for prepping is easy for me to follow. Again thank you so much and I plan to make many more of your dishes for my wife.

7. Kendra says

Hi Aeri, I have a question for you about one of the steps.
    When I mixed the onion and pear together there was a lot of liquid. Should I our out the extra liquid or is it ok to have it mixed with the meat? I saw your pear/onion mix looked very thick and doesn’t have a lot of liquid in it so I wasn’t sure.
    Also, when I buy the asian pear should it have a bit of give when I squeeze it or should it be very hard?

Thank you for your help!

hi Kendra,
      no worry for the liquid..because when you cook the meat.. they will be gone.. usually asian pear has crunch… hard texture.. thanks

8. Jennie says

Hello. I was wondering if we need to use the specific korean cooking wine and soysauce you posted? Can we use just normal store bought ones?

9. michelle says

hi. i just came across your videos on you tube.i cant wait to start trying out these recipes. for the gaibi, what heat settings do i cook it on? you make it look sooo easy!!! THANKS.

hi michelle,
      I will cook mine.. medium heat.. ^^ and once the meat is cooked… can increase the temperature to medium-high.. so you will get some nice golden brown outside.. ^^