Zucchini BokkEum

애호박 볶음, AeHoBak BokkEum

AeHoBak BokkEum is a simple Korean side dish. The natural zucchini flavor shines in this dish with a hint of the garlic, green onions, salt, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. This is a common flavor that you can taste in Korean dishes. It is good when added to bibimbap.

Yield: 1 Pint

• AeHoBak (애호박) = Zucchini
  • BokkEum (볶음) = Frying

• 1 Medium Zucchini (About 2 Cups)
  • 1 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Oil
  • ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Green Onion
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic

Slice 1 zucchini thinly, but depending on your preference, you can cut thicker than this.

Mix 1 tsp of salt in the zucchini, and set it aside for about 30 minutes. The salt will pull the water out of the zucchini and it also gives the zucchini flavor. When you cook it later, your zucchini will not be watery. (You don’t want a soft and mushy zucchini.)

30 minutes later, you will get liquid from the zucchini as pictured.

Squeeze out the water.

In a pan, add 1 tbsp of oil. When the pan is heated, add the zucchini and fry it for 7 minutes on medium.

When the zucchini is almost cooked, add 1 tsp of minced garlic, 1 Tbsp of finely chopped green onions, ½ Tbsp of sesame oil, and 1 tsp of sesame seeds. Fry 2 more minutes and turn off the heat. Taste it. Depending on your taste, you can add more salt, but for me it was salty enough.

Serve this with rice, soup, and other Korean side dishes. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Jasmin says

Hi!

I want to make JapChae for dinner today and I have some squash left in the fridge from yesterday. Is this squash-sidedish good with JapChae? Even though I have not made anything from your recipes yet, I enjoy just watching them! Keep up the good work! :smile:

2. Sarah says

Hi Aerie,
    Your recipes and blog are both lovely, congrats , and your son very cute as well ! I’m wondering how long can that zucchini dish last in the fridge?
    Thank you !

This was very easy to make…and great recipe…..especially since I have all the ingredients at home. Just cooked this for tonight’s dinner (along with the tteok galbi and gosari namul).

Thanks for sharing!

4. Sofia says

Hi, I am in Korean class at my school here in Korea. Recently, we made korean fried zuchini in my class. I thought it was really good so here is the recipe:

1 mini zuchini
    1/2 cup of flour
    1 large egg
    1 pinch of salt
    1 pinch of pepper
    Olive oil or any other oil(depends on your taste!!)

*You will need a frying pan for this and some chopsticks. It you don’t have chopsticks then you can use tongs.

1. First you get 2 small bowls. Crack the egg and place it in one of the bowls. Mix the egg.
    2. In the other bowl add flour, salt and pepper. Mix.
    3. Then you place frying pan on stove and put in the oil. Turn it on HIGH heat.
    4. Start to prepare the zuchini by cutting it into thin slices. Then you pick up a slice with chopsticks (or tongs) and dump in in egg. Make sure both sides are covered with egg.
    5. Then you take it out of the egg and put it in the flour. Make sure boths side have flour on them.
    6. Make sure pan it heated then you can place zuchini in pan. Let the bottom fry for about a minute. Check to make sure it is golden brown. Then flip.
    7. Once fried you can place on a plate. Continue with the rest of zuchini.

*While frying zuchini you can prepare more.

*Makes about 2-3 servings.

5. Kathy says

This website is too awesome! I really like all of your rescipes, so simple and easy to make.^^ But I was wondering, sometimes I see korean people make zucchini that is dipped in batter then fried? I was wondering what is that, & how do you make it?
    Much love.

6. 혜수 says

yes yes =)
    I am korean and can speak korean (THANK GOD!) I’m very proud of the fact that I can understand, speak, read, and write korean even though I came to the states when I was four years old =D I LOVE the korean culture, I can’t really cook and my mother doesn’t know much korean recipes so 언니 덕 분에 많이 배워요 (me that is, I cook for my parents! haha)

Hi, 혜수
      Yes, I’m proud of you. It will be very difficult to keep Korean language…especially when you were grown in English environment. It’s good that you can communicate with your parents in Korean also. I hope I can teach my son Korean too… hehe anyway.. Your parents will be very happy to eat your Korean food. ;) thanks !!!

Hi, 혜수
      oops.. haha… you already left comment about your friend squash… wow it was good ?? phew~~~~ I’m happy to hear that.. thanks !!! hehe.. so you are a Korean..and can speak Korean ??

7. 혜수 says

그레이 호박을 써도 돼나요?? I’m trying it right now with the gray squash…I guess I’ll let you know how it goes! >.<

Hi, 혜수
      wow.. your name is Korean. :) To be honest with you, I’ve never seen or heard gray squash… wow..there is gray color ones?? sorry…so I can’t tell you how it will work with that .. But I really wonder how it turned out…hehe let me know please~~~ :)

8. Anya says

i can tell that this one is yummy and very easy to make:) thank you again
    my husband said that he never had taste of zucchini like this and he love it.
    so i wish that God would give you strength to keep doing your wonderful work that made our day more tasty:))

Hi, Anya
      Your comment meant to me a lot. hehe.. I got motivation to post more recipes thanks to it. thanks !!! :) Tell your husband thanks..

9. Marg says

Anyong Aeri, yes our body is God’s temple. And thanks for including Daily Bible Reading on your website. Tummy can be fed as well as soul :D

Hi, Marg
      See…I couldn’t find this comment also.. oops what happened.. :cry:
      anyway… thanks for your comment. Happy to meet a good christian person like you. :)

10. Marg says

Thanks Aeri, this is delicious! The whole family loved it. And healthy too. Psalm 63:5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you :D

Hi, Marg
      Hehe.. I love that bible verse… Thanks.. yes my husband and I try to eat healthy since our body is God’s temple.. just many times it’s not easy to keep it in our life..anyway..I’m very happy to hear that your family loved it.. thanks !!! :)