Potato JoRim

감자 조림, GamJa JoRim

GamJa JoRim is an easy and delicious non-spicy Korean side dish using potatoes. The flavor of soy sauce mixed with a little sweetness and the texture of potatoes gives you a great taste. Although you can make a small amount of this side dish for one meal, you can also make a lot and keep it in the refrigerator. It is a popular side dish for school lunch boxes in Korea. I hope you will like this. It has been while since I made a post. I was very happy to do this again. More recipes will be posted as I get back into the swing of things. hehe :) Thank you very much for all the comments and kind words about my son’s birth. I’m sorry that I couldn’t reply to every single message, but I really enjoyed reading your messages. I almost feel normal again, and Bryson is doing very good. He makes me happy everyday, even though I feel tired. ;)

• MulYeout (물엿) = Corn Syrup
  • Ggul (꿀) = Honey

• 3 Medium Sized Potatoes (2 Cups)
  • ½ Cup Water
  • 2 Tbsp Oil
  • 2½ Tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Corn Syrup
  • 1-1½ Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • ⅛ tsp Fine Sea Salt
  • ½ tsp Sesame Seeds

Cut 3 medium sized potatoes (2 cups) into ½-inch cubes.

In a heated pan, with 2 Tbsp of oil, add the chopped potatoes.

Fry the potatoes for 5 minutes on medium-high until they are about ⅓ cooked.

After 5 minutes, add ½ cup of water, 2½ Tbsp of soy sauce, 2 Tbsp of corn syrup, 1-1½ Tbsp of sugar, and 1 Tbsp of minced garlic.

Cook it for 5 more minutes on medium-high.

Taste it and if you need to, add up to ⅛ tsp of fine sea salt depending on your tastes.

Cook until the liquid is reduced to a paste, which should take about 5 minutes.

Reduce the temperature to medium and fry 5 to 7 more minutes until the potatoes are completely cooked. Then add ½ tsp of sesame seeds.

It is done. :)

This side dish tastes good whether it is warm or cool. Serve it with rice and other Korean side dishes. Enjoy! :)

Comments

hi Rick,
      You mean this side dish will match well with marinated chicken (kalbi flavor) ?? I think.. they will be similar flavor.. sweet and salty savory flavor.. I will like to have some fresh vegetables (like pickled radish.. kimchi.. ) with my kalbi.. ^^ it’s up to you though.

1. Carmen T says

Hello, Aeri!
    This was absolutely delicious. The only thing that I added was a TB spoon of vinegar.

Thank you.

2. Lazarini says

I just finished this recipe. I did the spicy fish cake recipe first. I’ll comment about it in its proper section. But, I wanted to let you know that the GamJa JoRim are super delicious and extremely easy to make. Perhaps, it’s the way you state each step plus the video guidance that made me memorize it and perform it easily. I thank you so much! I’m a Korean cuisine, kpop, and drama lover. :grin:
    Please keep adding recipes. I’ll try them all! fighting!!!

3. Kat says

I made this today and it was so delicious, my mom loved it too. Thanks Aeri, I can’t wait to try out more of your recipes! :grin:

4. Jessica says

hi aeri unnie.. :)
    i just made this for family’s dinner tonight ^^
    i asked my mom to try it, and she said it’s so yummy
    for sure i’ll make this more often now..
    and i think gamja jorim is good for diet also, since it’s only need little oil, and the taste won’t make me bored also
    thanks unnie for your recipe,i can make a lot of korean food because of you, unnie..
    thank you so much, and i love your blog.. ^^

5. Keem says

Hi Aeri, I accidentally found your site not too long ago. Since then, I really enjoy finding recipies that I only remember eating. Your recipies are easy to follow, and I have been able to make some dishes successfully. Thank you!! However, I have some problem finding the same recipe which I have seen on your site before. If they can be organized either Korean or English alphabetical order or a space where one can search for a dish, I think it will be very convenient.Regardless what I said, I am grateful to you having this site available, especially for the people who live abroad.(I assume you live in America, but I have no idea)
    Thank you again. Keem

hi Milla,
      I will say .. use sugar instead of corn syrup.. because sometimes.. honey can give too strong flavor to the dish..and some Korean food doesn’t match with honey.. if it’s dessert type food.. it’s better to use honey though..hehe

6. Nikki says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I made this into Korean-Canadian version and used maple syrup instead of corn syrup… turned out fantastic! Thanks again!!

7. Rosaline says

Hi Aeri!

I have been looking for a recipe like this for such a long time! I am so glad that I was able to find it on your website. I’ve been looking at your website for a very long time now and I have always been looking forward to know what new recipe you will be posting up. Thank you for sharing! I’m so jealous of your husband! He can eat all this yummy food everyday! :wink:

8. Julia K. says

Hello, Aeri!
    I made this for lunch today, and it came out really delicous! ^^~
    I substituted the corn syrup with honey, and it was still yummy. Thank you always for helping us make korean food, fast and simple! God bless you and your family =]
    :grin: