Kimchi Jeon

김치전, Kimchi Jeon

There are many different kinds of Korean pancakes using vegetables, seafood, or meat in Korean cuisine. We call this type of pancake “jeon.” Among them, this kimchi pancake snack is one of the most popular Korean pancakes. Today, I want to share some secrets to make really tasty kimchi pancakes with you. When I was little, I used to visit an aunt’s house and she made kimchi pancakes for me. I love kimchi pancakes, and her kimchi pancakes were the best ever. She gave me some tips about how to make good kimchi jeon. Some people asked me, why I call some Korean dishes “pancakes,” even though they are not sweet, and not even close to the American pancakes that you might be imagining. Another word that could describe Korean pancakes is “fritter” – batter mixed with different kinds of ingredients: vegetables, seafood, meat, and so on. :D

Yield: ½ Dozen 8-inch Pancakes

• SunMul (선물) = Gift
  • Saengil (생일) = Birthday

• 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • Frying Mix (or ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour)
  • 1 Cup Well Fermented Kimchi
  • ⅓ Cup Kimchi Broth
  • ¼ Cup Milk
  • ⅓ Cup Water
  • 1 Egg
  • 1½ tsp Sugar
  • ⅛ Generous tsp Salt

Chop 1 cup of kimchi into 1-inch pieces. The most important tip for delicious kimchi pancakes is using well-fermented kimchi. Sour (old) kimchi works great too. When you cut kimchi on your cutting board, the cutting board will get stained. Here is a tip: Put some wax paper on top of your cutting board before cutting the kimchi. :)

In a bowl, add 1 cup of all-purpose flour and ⅓ cup of frying mix. To make the pancakes a little crispier, I like to add some frying mix to the batter. However if you don’t have the frying mix or don’t want a crispy texture, you can use another ⅓ cup of flour instead.

Add 1½ tsp of sugar and a generous ⅛ tsp of salt into the bowl. Mix everything together. Adding some sugar is a secret ingredient from my aunt. ;) Depending on how salty your kimchi is, you might need to adjust the amount of salt.

Pour ¼ cup of milk and ⅓ cup of water into the dried ingredients. Milk is another secret ingredient from her, but if you cannot eat milk or do not have it, you can use another ¼ cup of water instead.

Add 1 egg and ⅓ cup of kimchi broth. Several people have asked, “What is kimchi broth?” :) While the kimchi is fermenting in the jar, a liquid forms from the fermentation process of the napa cabbage. That is what I call kimchi broth. You can use it for other kimchi dishes such as Kimchi fried rice or kimchi soup, so don’t throw away your valuable kimchi broth. ;) It will give these dishes an extra burst of kimchi flavor.

Before you add the kimchi to the batter, stir the batter until it doesn’t have any chunks and gets a consistency like pancake batter.

Add 1 cup of chopped kimchi into the batter. If you don’t have enough kimchi broth, you can add a little more water and kimchi to get enough flavor.

Mix thoroughly. Oh, it already looks delicious, even without frying.

In a non-stick pan, add generous amount of oil. Heat the pan on medium-high. I said generous! =P

According to your pan size, get 1 or 2 scoops of batter and pour it into the pan.

It is important to spread the batter out thinly for crispy pancakes. ;)

When the surface of the pancake starts to cook, flip it over.

Pressing the pancake with a spatula helps the pancake fry better and makes it crispier.

Occasionally flip the pancake, but not too often. When both sides of the pancakes are nicely brown and crispy, it is done. :D

Again, it is a very simple and delicious dish. You should try this someday, especially if you love kimchi. hehe Thanks :)

Comments

Hi Aeri, thank you so much for your recipe. I’m a beginner at cooking, let alone Korean. But I’m learning quick thanks to you. My first attempt taste wonderfully. Thanks again!

hi shiela,
      sorry.. what is your question ??? You want to learn how to make Kimchi.. or you want to know how to use kimchi.. which means.. you want to learn more recipes using kimchi ???

2. Lushia says

Hello Aeri,

I used the American measurement too. I tried a lot of your recipes and they all worked perfectly!! My boyfriend enjoyed the dishes as much as I did and now he thinks of me as a really good korean dish cook! haha. He’s now going back to Korea but he said he would miss my dishes so much! Thank you Aeri for your video and recipes!! The recipes and cooking experience were greatly valuable to me and my boyfriend! Thanks!

hi Lushia,
      Thank you for your message.. oh.. so you and your bf will be long distant couple ?? that’s sad.. he will come back ?? or you will go to Korea someday ?? I hope that you guys can be together soon again..^^

Dear Aeri, Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful crispy kimchi recipe. My family loves it & so do I hiaks!

As I do not know what kind of frying powder to use, I replaced it with self-raising flour(which I normally mixed with all-purposes flour for frying) & it works very well!!

4. Joan says

hey ive been watching your vids from youtubes., and im very excited to try your recipes., ^^, can you show ustoo, how to make kimchi??? thanks

5. Lushia says

Hello Aeri!

I do love all your cookings and I’m learning from you! However, I have a question regarding to the measurement you are using. For 1Tbsp or Tsp, are you using the American standard measurement? Because what I can observe from the video, 1 tbsp should be a little bit, however, yours seems a lot. Maybe I see it wrong, but please let me know what kind of measurement you are using! I want to cook this for my boyfriend!

Thank you so much!

6. Cassandra says

Hi Aeri
    I just made this last sunday for my family n it taste awesome. I did not have milk so i substitute with milk powder and water:) Had 3 pancakes for myself, haha think i’ve put on weight:)

hi Cassandra,
      Oh… so milk powder worked good ?? I always wondered if I can use milk powder instead of milk for some of American food because usually we don’t have milk in our refrigerator.. :D

I just made this for lunch ^^, and it was really nice.

I had to add more water and broth, because my batter didn’t turn out to be as runny as yours. Did you use exact measurements, or just by approximation?

Hi Emi,
      Yep.. to make a exact recipe, I measure everything with measuring cups and spoons..where are you from?? because I heard that depending on countries the measuring size can be different. I’m using American brands.

8. Petitnem says

Hi Aeri ! I’ve a question about your ingredients.. what is kimchi broth? is it like kimchi liquid ?
    gomawo ^^

9. tw1light says

Hey Aeri,

Thank you so much for this recipe! I bought the batter powder before, but not knowing how to read Korean, I always couldn’t get my pancakes right! I will definitely try this soon. XD

10. Lilluz says

Aeri, how many grams would be in 1 cup of all-purpose flour? By the way, i LOVE kimchi jeon – this is the first korean food i had! YUM YUM! ;)

11. joy says

Aeri-First your little Bryson is just absolutely adorable! I wish my Hailey had that much hair and she’s almost two! Barely no hair at all!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kimchi Pancakes! They are my favorite. Hailey and I have them probably once every other week. I will have to try your recipe. Thanks!

hi joy,
      Thanks for your kind words. He has his father’s genetic about hair. I know she will have lots of hair later.. btw.. her name is pretty.. “Hailey”.. it has any meaning ?? I hope you and your daughter like my recipe also. :D

• Joy says

Hi Aeri!
        We LOVE your recipe. I combined your recipe with the one I use and it turned out even better! Hailey had 2 little pancakes!
        “Hailey” means From the Hay Clearing. haha I heard her name on a tv show and just really liked it.

12. Jennifer says

First, I want to congratulate you on the birth of your son! Secondly, I love this recipe! I can never get the consistency right, but this is perfect! Thanks as always!

hi Jennifer,
      Thank you !!! That’s great you can get right consistency… yep…that can make difference for your kimchi jeon. Happy for you. :D

this is nice, and made easy with the picture. I also started a cooking blog. You can have a look at it… there is french food and mix food and cookies !

14. MrsDarth says

Hi Aeri!

I hope you and Bryson are doing well. I love this dish. I have never thought of using wax paper for your cutting board. That’s a great idea!

Mimi

hi MrsDarth,
      Hey~~~ I missed and wondered about you and your baby.. how’s going over there ??? Did your body back to normal like before you pregnant ??? I have problem to loose my weight..especially belly fat.. don’t know what to do about it.. I hope you are okay.. ^^ anyway.. very happy to see you again ~~~ I want to see your baby’s picture..

15. amyskitchen says

hi Aeri -

This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try – thanks for posting aunt’s secrets :)
    Can you also post ingredients for dipping sauce?

16. farleen says

WOWOW!!

I’ve never had this before. I’ll wait for your video, very patiently. :) haha

please post a picture of bryson soon.

love you!

17. Mel says

Recipe looks yummy. Could this be adapted to other vegetables like cabbage? I love spicy food, but my husband doesn’t.

hi Mel,
      Oh.. sorry but you can’t use other vegetables like cabbage for this recipe. It’s very special recipe using fermented kimchi.. you can check my other vegetable pancake recipes such as.. zucchini,, garlic chives..please check picture index for them..thanks :)

18. Chris says

Wow thanks… I was just about to search for a recipe to use up my kimchi. I bought way too much! I’ll be reporting back to you later to tell you how it went. :P

19. sandy says

thanks for sharing, aeri. this is probably one of my favorite dish as well. i too, like dexter, just use the “pancake mix” that i buy from a korean market but this sounds interesting and i will try it next time. milk and sugar huh? it must be good if you’re sharing it w/us.

20. Dexter says

That’s a pretty funky recipe! I cook mine just with a pancake/frying mix that I buy from the korean market (it’s just a flour/baking soda/salt/pepper mix), kimchee, water and either squid or octopus (cut into little ~1/4″ x ~1/2″ pieces).

This is probably my favorite korean dish. :)

hi Dexter,
      Yep.. a little different…isn’t it ??? that’s why I call.. some ingredients are secret ingredients..hehe Try my version of kimchi jeon someday too..hehe thanks :