Beef Patty GalBi

떡갈비, Tteok GalBi

The Korean beef side dish Tteok GalBi is a very tasty dish that is a good representative of Korean food flavor. Tteok means sticky rice cakes and galbi is a marinated Korean meat dish. However, you will soon see that there are no sticky rice cakes in this recipe. So then, why it is called “Tteok Galbi?” The original Galbi dish uses beef or pork ribs. Tteok galbi has a similar taste with galbi; however, the texture is like sticky rice cakes because it has ground beef and other vegetables in it. Many people love bulgogi or galbi. The soy sauce and sweet flavor mixed with garlic, green onion, and sesame oil makes this dish very flavorful. This recipe can have a strong garlic or onion flavor, so if you don’t like them much, you can reduce the amount. It will be a good dish for a party.

Yield: 2 Dozen Patties

• AhNae (아내) = Wife
  • NamPyun (남편) = Husband

• 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 Small Size Onion
  • 1 Carrot (2.5 oz)
  • 3 Finely Chopped Green Onions
  • 6 Garlic Cloves

Seasoning Ingredients

Prepare 1 lb of ground beef.

Prepare 1 small onion, 1 carrot, and 6 garlic cloves. Chop the onion and carrot a little before grinding.

Grind the vegetables for few seconds in a food processor. We will grind them with the beef later, so they don’t have to be ground that fine.

Slowly add some of the ground beef and grind it until they become like dough.

The mixture is supposed to be like dough.

In a bowl, combine the meat mixture and all of the ingredients for the seasoning: 4 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1½ Tbsp of sugar, 2 Tbsp of honey, 1 Tbsp of sesame oil, ½ tsp of black pepper, 1 Tbsp of cooking wine (optional), and 3 finely chopped green onions.

Kneed all of the ingredients for about 2 minutes, this will help blend the various tastes together along with a consistent texture.

Take a golf ball sized piece of the beef mixture, make it round, and then flatten it.

In slightly oiled nonstick pan, place the tteok galbi. Fry it on medium. It is important not to cook it on high because it will burn very easily. Fry only one piece to taste test it. Try it, and depending on your taste, you can add ¼ tsp of salt as I did. It’s optional.

Once the juice comes out from the meat, flip it over and press it with a spatula. Reduce the temperature to medium-low.

Occasionally flip them over but not too often. Fry them until the both sides of the galbi become nicely browned. Fry them with patience: no high temperatures! ;)

If this recipe is too big for you to finish, freeze some as I did. It is good to use wax paper to keep them separated in the freezer bag.

Keep them in a freezer bag. When you eat them later, just take them out of the freezer and fry. In that case, start to cook at a low temperature and then, once the juice starts to come out, increase the temperature to medium.

These taste great with rice, but you can eat them with whatever you like. I’m thinking about putting some on my next salad. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Gracie says

Hi Aeri, I am a Singaporean married to a Korean. He lives in SG with me and the Korean food are usually very expensive and he is very picky with his food, so the local food don’t really suit him. Thanks to your recipes, I am able to make authentic Korean food for him at a fraction of the cost. One recipe which I just cannot master is Tteok Galbi. There is always too much liquid coming out of the parties when I fry them, making them really soggy and crumbles easily. The colour is also not as brown and glistening as yours. Do you know the problem or can you share some tips w me? Cheers!!

hi Gracie,
      I’m glad to hear that my recipes are helpful for you and your husband. Thanks :) About your question.. when you make the patty.. make sure that your patties stick together well enough.. (patting them for it.. ) and when you cook them.. they do make liquid… so fry both sides.. until they make liquid..and the liquid disappear.. if you cook too long on high temperature.. at the end you will burn yours.. so make sure that you don’t cook them too high temperature either.. just with patience.. fry them until all the moisture is gone..and your patty becomes nice brown color.

2. Sal says

The recipe came out well. A little different that my mother in law makes. I am Italian and love to cook all types of food. I love to try new Korean dishes as to surprise my wife with a little taste of home from time to time.

3. jane says

I haven’t made these yet, but I am looking for a dduk kalbi recipe ever since we had it in a korean restaurant. Are these ones very tender and soft after they are cooked? My kids would love the same texture as the ones they enjoyed at the restaurant. Thank you!

4. JaeWon says

Hi Aeri unni,

I’ve always been a fan of your recipe webpage! I have many of your recipes bookmarked for me to try ^_^ I’ve never left any comments before, but I’ve tried this recipe today and it was really really great so I decided I needed to leave a comment! ^^ My friends and family loved it ^^ Thank you for your hard work in posting! I really really appreciate it a lot *^^*

P.S: I personally think the pictures do help a lot, instead of printing them I just left my laptop on while cooking and looking.

5. Julie says

I was so thrilled to find your website. It has been such a blessing to me. My husband is Korean. Although he has been happy to eat American food, I know he was missing his Mother’s cooking. With your help, I have been able to do this.

This recipe is a favorite of his! Thanks again!

Julie

hi Julie,
      I’m happy to hear that.. yes I miss Korean food a lot even I like American food..and I can make Korean food for myself.. so I can understand how your husband will be like… thanks.. make many delicious Korean food for him..and for you..^^

6. judy says

your recipes are so long that you need 9-to 10 pages just to print them out ,who wants to use all that print out paper for just one of your recipes, i would have to buy a box of a 100 or more ,what a waste i,ve never seen such a recipe as long as yours which stops me from making any of yours , i got off your sit and dont care what your making ,you should learn how we do it in the usa

hi judy,
      I’m sorry to hear that you had problems to use my site. Personally I like lots of pictures for cookbooks .. or cooking blogs.. it’s more interesting to look at the recipes.. you can consider it as my style. Plus, when I consider some people who don’t know about Korean food at all.. I wanted them still can cook Korean food easily with my detailed pictures and instruction. That’s why I have my posts like that.. My posts are not planned for printing (which it will be good if I have separated printable recipes without pictures.. then you don’t have to print that many pages..) so.. you got the problems..I’ve never met you before, but I can feel you are angry at me or my blog… :sad: We try to think of what you said to make a better site in the future.. thanks..and please come back ~~

• David says

I was curious and printed out the entire recipe including directions, and it came out to 5 pages. Granted, five pages is still a lot. However, if you’re really concerned about saving trees, then I suggest you take few seconds of your time and copy paste entire recipe in a Word file and delete all the pictures before printing. That’s how I do it, here, in the USA. Please be mindful of efforts put in by others and realize not everyone has to time and resources to accommodate everyones specific need. Particularly when there’s an easy fix. In fact, all you have to do is copy paste the entire recipe in a simple notepad and it wont even paste the pictures! Just print and it comes out to cool two pages :razz:

• Mee says

I think Judy is being unreasonable (and racist at the end). If she was eco-conscious, she wouldn’t be printing it out at all. If she wanted a hard copy, she could do as David said or she could write down the important parts on a scrap of paper.

For me, I use my iPad in the kitchen and Aeri, your website works great on it (just to let you know)!

• RubyRed says

I find it completely unreasonable that you are bashing Aeri because you don’t know how to copy and paste her recipes to a blank document to cut down on pages. I’ve been a fan of her recipes for a long while now and have been copying and printing these wonderful recipes, 1-2 each, since. Be considerate of the time and effort she has put in to share these with us. If you are just going to continue to be rude, then I suggest you find another site that is better suited for you, here in the USA.

• Grace says

If you don’t like it, then Stop being ignorant with your racist Induced comments and get offer page! You made this original comment years ago, but I was offended by what you wrote and it wasn’t even geared towards me… We are all human, all equal, so stop acting like you are above her with your “learn how we do it in the US” comment!!! As an American, we are not ignorant like you!!! Aeri, keep doing you girl!! Love your site!!! Saranghae!!!!! Fighting!!!

• Suzanne Sutherland says

Personally, I like the pictures Aeri puts on the site. I often look at them WHILE I am cooking just to make sure. I hope you’ve fallen off your ecologically sanctimonious soapbox and biodegraded by now. Most of us who come here love Aeri and all the work she has done to bring Korean food closer to our dinner tables.

7. Elizabeth says

This is such a yummy recipe! Thanks so much for sharing; my whole family loved it. I’m trying to learn some Korean recipes to put into my regular meal rotation. So far I am really enjoying your blog and trying out your recipes. Your instructions are so clear and easy to follow, the pictures really help too. Thanks again :grin:

8. tacoflavorkisses says

hi aeri
    was wondering if i can use a mixer instead of a food prosessor? since i don’t have one : ( will i get the same result using a mixer? let me know, and thanks for the great recipes always. keep up the great work and have a wonderful day^.^ <3 :grin:

9. mary says

hola, muchas gracias por tus recetas e aprendido mucho, yo soy chilena pero mi marido es coreano , el esta mas feliz por que e aprendido,de verdad muchas gracias. Mary..

10. Annie says

hi Aeri!
    I am in the process of making them right now…! ^^ so far so good> <
    but are the Tteok Galbi supposed to have a sweeter taste then salty? thanks!! hehe
    have a good day *^^*

hi Annie,
      yes.. tteok galbi will have the combination of salty and sweet.. depending on how you like more.. you can make it sweeter..or saltier.. ^^ thanks

11. Hope says

Hi Aeri chan,

I just tried this food
    and followed your recipe
    it is really fabulous and delicious

incredible, ^^

12. Jenn says

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I just made a batch for tonight’s dinner. Made mine slightly smaller so had more than 24 patties.

You are so right about cooking it patiently, if not, the beef will burn.

Can’t wait to eat them tonight with rice! Yum.

13. JT says

Aeri I believe the beef cut for galbi is korean beef shortribs.

By the way, I am cravign burgers so bad today and this is making me feel like making it tonight…

With hot rice…

maybe a bit of leftover curry…

hungry :D

14. farleen says

Dear Bryson,

Can you please let me borrow a bib because your mommy’s dishes are making me drool. ;)

Thank you Bryon! Tell your mommy i miss her.

Love,
    Arleen

hi farleen,

Of course I can share my bib with you since I really like you, arleen. ;)
      My mom misses you too. hehe..

p.s Aha, mom said.. she is waiting for your entering in the contest. She wants to see your heart egg picture… =P