Sticky Rice Cakes for TteokBokkI & TteokGuk

떡볶이떡 & 떡국떡, TteokBokkITteok & TteokGukTteok

Today, I will show you how to make an ingredient for Korean cooking – sticky rice cakes. They are commonly used for tteokbokki, tteokggochi, and tteokguk. Koreans take their rice to a shop and let them make it. It is an interesting process, which is detailed in this awesome blog post by the Stumbling Engineer. Outside of Korea, many people cannot find these sticky rice cakes where they live, so they want to make tteokbokki and tteokguk at home. With this recipe, you can make sticky rice cakes at home and enjoy tteokbokki and tteokguk.

Yield: 2½ lb. Sticky Rice Cakes

• Tteok (떡) = Sticky Rice Cakes
  • HuSik (후식) = Desserts

• 3 Cups Rice Flour
  • 1½ Cups Water
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1½ Cups Water + 1 tsp Sesame Oil

For the steaming process, filled almost half of a pan with water and boil it on high.

Meanwhile, combine 3 cups of rice flour and 1 tsp of salt.

Slowly add 1½ cups of water, stirring it gently.

The rice flour will be crumbly.

Prepare a wet cheesecloth. Place the cheesecloth in a steamer.

Add the rice flour on top of the cheesecloth.

Once the water starts to boil, steam the rice flour for about 20 minutes on high.

In a bowl, add 1½ cups of cold water and 1 tsp of sesame oil. If you don’t like sesame oil, you can use normal cooking oil instead.

After 20 minutes, the rice flour will be cooked.

Wear cotton gloves before placing the plastic gloves over your hands. This will help prevent your hands from becoming burnt. The dough will be hot!

Use a bread machine to knead the dough. I used the pizza dough setting for 25 minutes. It is very important to knead the dough thoroughly for the gluten to fully develop and become sticky, so I do not recommend taking any shortcuts with this step. =P

If you don’t have a bread machine, you can make the sticky rice cakes with 1½ cups of rice flour and 1½ cups of sweet rice flour instead of 3 cups of rice flour. Hand knead the dough for at about 10 minutes. Rice cakes made this way will be inferior to using a machine; hand kneading does not make a good texture for the rice cakes.

When you handle the dough, cover your hands and the board with a little oil and water so that the dough will not stick to things. Take some of the dough and round it. Roll it on a board with your hands until it becomes about half an inch in diameter.

For tteokbokki or tteokggochi, cut it into 2 inch pieces.

For tteokguk tteok, roll the dough into a 1-inch diameter, and leave it at room temperature for one day before you cut it.

If you put some water on your knife, it makes it easier to cut. After waiting one day, slice it diagonally into ¼-inch pieces.

Put the rice cakes in freezer bags and store them in the freezer.

Comments

1. Sophie says

Hi Aeri, I tried to do the rice cakes but it seems that a problem occurs. I already put the flour and salt but when i pour water into the bowl, the rice cake is not crumbly. It became a sticky dough. I only pour far from half a cup. Do you have any solutions?

2. Eliana says

Hi, I really like to do this, but I don’t find Sweet Rice Flour :/
    What other type of flour can replace it? I don’t have bread machine T_T

3. Christin Duerr says

Annyeong! :-)
    So first of all i am a hige fan of your blog in general.:-)
    I wanted to do the Tteok but i don’t have a bamboo steamer,can i use a metal steam basket instead of a bamboo steamer?

I made some rice cakes today, I used half rice flour and half sweet rice flour, it came out very very sticky, which made it difficult to roll. I stored them in the freezer, I’m going to try and make spicy TteokBokkI with them.

5. timmy says

Ohh my! I’m from malaysia and currently it’s 11pm. Just finished makin ddeok using your recipe and, superb! I like the result. BTW, I grind japanese rice (Sumo) because I don’t have the frozen rice flour. Thank you so much!!! ^_^

6. Stephanie says

Thank you so much for the recipes… i really love this blog… i can make my own pork Kimcijjigae and my friends love it sooo much…. :)

i also tried to make tteok… with half sweet rice flour and half rice flour since i dont have bread machine

it happen to be nice and i can roll it, problem was when i cooked it for tteokbokki, it become too soft and soggy….

was it because i cooked it right after the tteok done??? or i put too much of sweet rice flour???

awaiting for your advise…

Thank you sooo much….

Stephanie

hi Stephanie,
      You get the best result with only short grain rice.. because as you experienced.. the sweet rice flour makes that soft and soggy texture. If you have a chance, try it with all short grain rice again. Thanks ^^

7. Indri says

Hey.. I read your recipe.. you said that “If I don’t have a bread machine, I can make the sticky rice cakes with 1½ cups of rice flour and 1½ cups of sweet rice flour instead of 3 cups of rice flour”.
    OK, so, what do you mean with 1½ cups of rice flour and 1½ cups of sweet rice flour in here? a substitute 3 cups of rice flour in the first step of your recipe? what is the differences between rice flour and sweet rice floor? should I add sugar in rice flour so I can called it sweet rice flour? Please explain.. I wanna make it at home…

• timmy says

Yes, the mixture of the two rice flour is the substitute for the 3 cups of rice flour. Sweet rice flour is glutinous rice flour.

hi Indri,
      They are 2 different kinds of rice flours.. the sweet doesn’t mean.. “sugar” or “sweet flavor”.. it is also called glutinious rice.. it makes the rice cakes more guwey and soagy.. so you do not want to use too much for this.. the best result is.. use all short grain rice flour.. just knead the dough hard and long enough.. if you do not have a bread machine.

8. Hana says

Hi 애리, i tried and it was very good. very delicious delicate. Thank you. Can you have a recipe of bibimbap? Hans
    Have a nice day :)

9. nadiah says

hi aeri! I’m from Malaysians
    i make a rice cake!
    can i make a tteobokki right away
    or should i wait for 1 day to make it???
    thanks!!

10. Aslina says

Hi Aeri ^_^

I’m from Malaysia and would like to ask, how long can I store in fridge these rice cakes once I made them? Let say if I made it a lot, then got some left over, so I can keep them in the fridge right?

Thank you.

11. Brandon says

Hi,

I am from Malaysia and I got a question to ask.
    If you are buying the rice flour from the supermarket, how to tell if the rice flour(from their packaging) if made of short grain?

Thanks you

Hi Brandon,
      I think if it’s in English, they should tell the name … but if it just say “rice flour” and it can be long grain rice.. then that can be the problem. If you buy it in a Korean grocery store.. it will be more clear that it is made with short grain. Do you have any Korean grocery store near ? It is also 쌀가루 in Korean.

• Brandon says

So sad that there’s none in my area but i was thinking if i buy Japanese rice and grind it into rice powder, does it make sense?

Thanks

hi Brandon,
          Yes, japanese rice is also short grain rice..but make sure that it’s not glutinous (sweet) rice.. it should be short grain rice.. thanks ^^

12. sari says

hi aeri, i am litlle bit confused with the title, as i know sticky rice is glutenous rice or sweet rice or korean had mociko flour, which one you used to make it, sorry

hi sari,
      We use different kinds of rice flour to make different kinds of rice cakes.. the 2 main kinds are short grain rice flour and sweet (glutinous) rice flour. The rice cakes for tteokbokki or tteokguk are made with short grain rice. ^^ Thanks

hi Kiki,
      In some reasons, I couldn’t open the link… it said.. can not find.. anyway.. I think vietnamese eat long grain rice.. if the vietnamese rice flour you mentioned ..made with long grain rice flour, it will not work for this sticky rice cakes.. because you need short grain rice flour for firm chewy texture.. thanks

13. Benjamin says

Hi Aeri! I tried making these rice cakes today, but unfortuately, they were too soft and I had a very had time to make a cylinder. I don’t have a bread machine, so I used my hands. I didn’t use half rice flour and half sweet rice flour, so I only have used three cups of sweet rice flour (from Koda Farms Brand). Thank you so much for help! Kamsahamnida :)

hi Benjamin,
      To make a right one.. you need short grain rice .. and you used all sweet rice flour.. that’s why the texture is too soft.. If you have a chance to try it again.. please try it with short grain rice again. ^^ thanks.

14. Erika says

Hi! I bought some rice cake at the supermarket and I opened them maybe last week. But today there was some little green stuff. Not sure if it’s mold. I kept them in the fridge.

Should’ve I kept them in the freezer for it to last longer?

Thanks! :)

hi Erika,
      Yes, if it’s green stuff.. make sure that it’s not mold.. because it sounds like a mold…
      Take it out from freezer and check the rice cake pieces..and if they seem okay..then I recommend you to use them soon…

I already bought all of the ingredients for making ddeokbeokki but I’m concerned about the rice cake since I don’t have a bread machine. How many minutes should I knead the dough with hands to achieve the same texture with what you did when yo used the bread machine?

Thank you so much!

=)

16. Devika says

Hi Aeri, I am Nepalese and I have been fascinated with Korean cuisine for awhile though I am not much of a cook, however, recently I am being more daring in trying out alot of recipes and I am in particularly interested in rice cake.I want to ask if it is possible to use a dough mixer instead of bread maker to knead the dough and have the same result??? Thanks.