Tuna Mayo & Tuna Kimchi Triangle Kimbap

참치 마요 & 참치 김치 삼각 김밥, ChamChi MaYo & ChamChi KimChi SamGak GimBap

Triangle kimbap is a very popular food sold in convenience stores in Korea. For people who are too busy to prepare breakfast or lunch, this is a good option. Since the kimbap is wrapped in a disposable plastic package, it is easy to carry and eat wherever or whenever you want. There are many different types available; however, today I will only show you how to make two different types using tuna and kimchi. In a Korean grocery store, you can find the kit for making this triangle kimbap. Why not try making this simple and amazingly delicious kimbap at home? If you have kids, it will be fun to make this together with your children. I cannot wait to make these with my son, Bryson, someday. hehe

• ChamChi (참치) = Tuna
  • SamGak (삼각) = Triangle

Tuna Mayo Ingredients

• 2½ Cups Cooked Short Grain Rice
  • ½ Cup Tuna in Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
  • 1 Pinch Black Pepper

Tuna Kimchi Ingredients

• 2½ Cups Cooked Short Grain Rice
  • ½ Cup Tuna in Oil
  • ½ Cup Kimchi
  • 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil (Canola Oil)
  • 2 tsp Hot Pepper Powder
  • ¼ tsp Sugar
  • ⅛ tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp Sesame Seeds

Combine 2½ cups of cooked rice, 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1 tsp of sesame seeds, and ⅛-¼ tsp of salt. Mix everything together gently. Use short grain or sushi rice, not long grain rice, for the right texture and taste. Cover it with a plastic wrap and set it aside while preparing the filling. Both the seaweed and rice will be the same in both recipes, except for the amount of saltiness.

For the tuna mayo kimbap, combine ½ cup of tuna, 2 Tbsp of mayonnaise, and 1 pinch of black pepper. Before using the tuna, drain the oil first.

Mix everything together. Depending on your tastes, you can add more mayonnaise or salt.

For the tuna kimchi kimbap, combine ½ cup of tuna, ½ cup of well fermented kimchi, 1 Tbsp of cooking oil, 2 tsp of hot pepper powder, and ¼ tsp of sugar in a pan.

Fry it for about 5 minutes on medium-high. If you want to make your kimbap spicier, add more hot pepper powder or red pepper paste.

Place the side marked with the number “1″ facedown, with the “1″ at the top. Then place the plastic forming tool on top of the seaweed at the top of the seaweed.

Since this recipe makes 5 tuna mayo servings, divide the 2½ cups of rice and tuna filling into 5 equal groups. That means each one will have about ½ cup of rice. Fill ⅓ of the triangle shape with rice. It will be about ¼ cup of cooked rice. Spread it out evenly.

Add some of the tuna mayo filling on top of the rice. Be careful not to let the filling touch the forming tool; leave about an eighth of an inch all around the filling. This helps to prevent a mess with the filling when we press it later.

Do the same thing for the tuna kimchi kimbap; Add some rice on the bottom and then add some tuna kimchi filling on top of the rice.

Add another ¼ cup of rice on top of the filling.

Press the rice with the other plastic piece in the kit, until you push it down to the line on the first plastic piece.

Remove the plastic forming tools.

Getting the right amount of rice and filling is the key to getting the perfect taste and shape.

Fold the seaweed sheet up over the rice.

Fold both sides of the seaweed down over the rice, and tuck the extra seaweed under the rice.

Fold both sides of the bottom seaweed piece up over the sides to the center of the triangle. Fasten each side with a piece of the tape. You will get 5 tuna mayo servings and 5 tuna kimchi servings.

Here is how to remove the wrap before eating; First, pull where it says “1.”

Pull the plastic pieces away where it is marked “2″ and “3.”

Since you made two kinds of triangle kimbap, it is a good idea to mark which one is which, so I use these sticky notes. Write down “tuna mayo” or “tuna kimchi” and stick it on the kimbap.

This is another way to make it; Just use my fried kimchi rice recipe for the filling. Fill the entire triangle full of the fried rice.

Follow the rest of the steps for the other triangle kimbap.

They look neat and they are delicious. It was very fun to make them. My sister-in-law tried them for the first time, and she loved them. Try them someday. :) Enjoy!

Comments

1. Janet says

I am so sorry Aeri. I was having problem with my computer for two to three days and that was why I sent you a second comment. Would appreciate if you can post your first reply to me again. Anyway, it’s too expensive to get the plastic in Singapore and there is only limited stock. I would prefer to buy in Seoul from a wholesaler or distributor or manufacturer. I am flying to Seoul in May this year but would like to contact the wholesaler/distributor first

Thank you.

2. Janet says

I would like to order in bulk the disposal plastic wrapper for the Korean triangle kimbap for my food shop. Please advise who is the importer of this disposal plastic wrapper.

3. garden says

hello. i adore your blog and your tutorial videos. i have few questions about kimbap. can i use any other rice other than sushi rice and add sesame oil to make it stick ?

HI garden,
      I don’t know what kind of rice you want to use for kimbap..but if is very fluffy and dont’ stick together well… you might have problem to roll.. cut and eat them later… if your rice will stick together a little.. you can try it. ^^ thanks

4. Markus says

안온함에 Aeri,

I live in Germany and therefore I can not find the suggested Korean stores. May could you provide me a name of a company who produce this seaweed enveloped in plastic than I could try to look and ask for it.

hi Markus,
        No worry for your miss spelling.. it was cute ^^
        Sorry but I don’t know what kind of brand they sell over there (German) ..so can’t answer your question well. The Chinese letters you see on the plastic cover is the brand name.

hi Canadian Mom,
      Sugar and vinegar are more Japanese taste for this kind of food than Korean.. I didn’t skip to mention it..I didn’t use them for this.. so just follow my instruction and ingredients.. then you will taste delicious triangle shape kimbap.. ^^ thanks

5. Canadian Mom says

Do you have a recipe for Salmon (instead of Tuna)? Also, can you mix the white sushi rice with black rice to add some more nutritional value (or will it not stick together)?

p.s. This is a great website! My 4 year old daughter hates sandwiches so I’ll be making this for her packed lunch. She’s already so excited about it.

hi Canadian Mom,
      I think.. white rice and black rice will be okay.. even other beans will be okay (for taste I will prefer just white rice though..hehe)..since it will be formed in the seaweed wrap.. I don’t have salmon recipe.. sorry.. Hope your daughter enjoys it. ^^

hi Jen,
      Yes, You can just make the rice filled with the filling..and make the shape you like.. such as.. triangle.. square.. ball.. and wrap them with dried seaweed.. it will not be as good as using the kit (the shape wise. )but the taste will be same.. ^^

Hi Aeri, I finally managed to post about my successful Kimbab. I linked back to your blog. Thanks again for your great tutorial. These triangles are made at least once a week in my home :) Delicious!!

7. Kimmy says

Wow! Thanks for posting these! I’ve only ever had one tuna triangle kimbap before and I usually don’t like tuna, but I fell in love. So, my other friends told me that your site listed some good recipes. I can’t wait to try!!!
    -Sarangheyo, Iseul.

8. Joi Ellis says

I was browsing bento boxes on Amazon and ran across a comment with a link in it which lead me to this page. I found this kimbap kit on Amazon.com and have just made and eaten my first tuna mayo kimbap. Now I know what’s going to be in my lunch boxes! Amazon.com also has the refill packs. My local Asian market didn’t carry them.

9. Faith says

Been enjoying your site, thank you! I like how you present the recipes in such a visually appealing way. Makes it so simple to understand and encourages people to try it out for themselves.

It’s a great idea incorporating Korean vocabulary lessons at the end of each entry too :smile:

Qtn: (i) Should we refrigerate the triangle gimbab? Would it make it soggy the next day?

(ii) If we refrigerate it, should we microwave it before eating?

Many thanks

hi Faith,
      Thanks for your kind comment. :)
      about your question, you don’ t have to worry about keeping it in the refrigerator.. in Korean store, they keep and sell it from refrigerator..it will not be soggy.. and you don’t have to use microwave either..it’s delicious as it’s cool.. but I will say don’t keep it longer than 2 days..because your rice will get hard and not delicious.. thanks

10. Eileen says

Hi Aeri. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with us. I just want to know if the kimchi fried rice or plain cooked rice must be cooled completely before you wrap with seaweed. Thanks!

11. JKasturi says

Hi Aeri, thank you for the video. I used to purchase the triangle kimbap from the supermarket but have no idea how they made it. Now I know how after watching your video. I do not have the utensils to make it but I can try to find it at the Korean Store here (in Malaysia). Communication with the store staff is also difficult cos I don’t speak Korean and they speak little English. Do you know how to say triangle kimbap tool in Korean? Appreciate your assistance.

12. May says

Thank you Aeri for the wonderful recipe. I’m trying to located the plastic mold but I’m unable to located it at any Korean stores in my state would you be consider adding this item to your shop? I tried checking with the H mart site but the mold did not look the same as what you are using. I prefer to get the same one that on your video. Thank you :cry:

Hey Aeri! Thanks so much for sharing this amazing and fun recipe! My husband and I are great fans of this triangle, but I never would have thought we could make it at home, I had never paid attention to the seaweed section of the supermarket to find the kit. I made my first batch yesterday and I’m so proud that it came out perfectly, and MUCH better than store bought. As soon as I get nice photos of them I will post about it on my blog and will link back to yours, as you were my clever instructor :grin: Looking forward to trying more Korean recipes from your blog! Congratulations on the great work!

14. angela says

i went to homeplus here in korea last friday and bought this triangle kimbap kit! i saw the exact some kind that aeri used in her video there^^ i can’t wait to make a few. thank you aeri for sharing your recipe! i’m an avid fan and because of you, my bf eats better these days^^ i was a bad cook before but now i can brag…a little ㅋㅋㅋ

15. evelyn says

Hi Aeri’s,
    I’m from singapore, Did you carry the mould & plastic wrap to sale? Cos in singapore really can’t get these two item while want to do your recipe just as neat as you.Ha…ha

Best Regards
    evelyn

16. Amira says

YAY! I already have the mold at home and I have made this before…..but I can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks so much!^^