Sweet Red Bean Bbang

단팥빵, DanPatBbang

Sweet red bean bbang, called “danpatbbang” in Korean, is an old-fashioned bakery product. There are many different kinds of sweet foods that use red bean paste. This is one of the most popular ones. If you have a bread machine, you can make this very easy dessert at home. I will use my homemade red bean paste again in this recipe. ;) Warm, freshly baked bread tastes very good with bean filling.

Yield: 16 Pieces

• Bbang (빵) = Bread
  • Bang (방) = Room

• 3½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 2½ Cups Red Bean Paste
  • ⅔ Cup Lukewarm Water
  • ⅔ Cup Lukewarm Milk
  • ¼ Cup Sugar
  • ¼ Cup Butter, Melted
  • 2 tsp Fast Active Dry Yeast
  • 1½ tsp Salt
  • Some Melted Butter (for Brushing)
  • Some Black Sesame Seeds (to Garnish)

Place 3½ cups of all-purpose flour in a big mixing bowl. Make three holes in the flour, and then put ¼ cup of sugar, 2 tsp of yeast, and 1½ tsp of salt in each hole. Gently cover the holes with the flour.

Pour ⅔ cup of lukewarm water and ⅔ cup of lukewarm milk in the flour mix. Mix everything together with a fork or your hands.

Pour ¼ cup of melted butter into the dough and knead the dough. If you have a bread machine, let it mix the ingredients and knead the dough.

If you knead the dough by hand, knead the dough for about 30 minutes. Knead the dough strongly, as if you are washing clothes.

When the dough becomes smooth and elastic, it is done.

Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place, such as an oven with the light turned on, for about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, obtain 2½ cups of red bean paste. You can use homemade red bean paste using my recipe, or you can use canned red bean paste from a Korean or Asian grocery store.

Divide the bean paste into 16 pieces and make round ball shapes out of the pieces. It will be about 1½ Tbsp of red bean paste for each ball.

When the dough has risen into a nice big size, take the dough out of the bowl and press down in the center to remove some of the air in the dough.

Divide the dough into 16 pieces and make a round ball out of each piece.

Flatten a ball until it is about 3 inches in diameter and place 1 red bean ball in the center.

Fold the dough up and over the red bean paste to cover it. Seal the center tightly so that the red bean paste will not come out.

Put the sealed part face down on a mat and press the dough into about a 2 inch diameter.

Cut 8 decorative slits around the edge, equally spaced apart.

Put some black sesame seeds in the center of the dough. Press gently to help them stick to the dough. You can substitute regular sesame seeds, crushed walnuts, or crushed pecans.

Place the dough on a cooking sheet and set it aside to rise again for about 15. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake the bread for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. You can brush the surface of the bread with egg before baking, or you can brush melted butter on top right after it comes out of the oven, as I did. Those steps will give the bread a nice and shiny look. :)

I believe that homemade cooking is delicious and healthy. If you love sweet stuff, but want to eat a little healthier, this recipe can be good to try. :) Thanks.

Comments

1. Nicole says

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing! My family and I enjoyed this bread a lot!

However, when I first made it I used the 팥빙수 팥 so it was a bit hard to make (it was still good though haha).

I went to 한남체인 and 시온마켓 but I couldn’t find the canned 팥 that you showed :( Where can I buy it?

Thank you! ^__^

2. Simone says

Hi, I am a huge fan of your recipes, but I went to this Korean Store, and I brought Pat Bbang, and I have no idea on how to reheat it (it’s frozen, and there is directions on the back but they are in Korean). Every time I make it, it is nasty, I have tried the microwave and oven, do you have any other ideas, and i tried putting butter on it, and it still taste the same.
    -Please help

3. Désirée says

Just tried this one tonight :) I loved it! The bread didn’t turn out quite as good as yours, but I’m sure with practice I’ll get better. I’m making kimchi next :) I’m so happy I found your website.
    God bless you

hi Désirée,
      You are right, if you keep try it, then you will be better and better. I’m also still learning and practicing cooking everyday. hehe God bless you too. Thanks

4. Shir says

This is a good recipe

i made it for my cousins birthday and the whole family loved it :D

my beanpaste was a little mushy though it stilll turned out great :)

5. enigma says

Thanks a lot for you recipe! My husband love red bean really much and I baked these for him and he ate a few at a time :) I also used your red bean paste recipe.

It’s a really easy recipe except I made a few tweaks and posting my experience here, hoping others may benefit from it.

1) I noticed you used fast active yeast, which I guess is different frm the one I used, dry active yeast? Nevertheless, I mix the yeast with lukewarm water first before adding into the flour mixture.

2) I also melt the butter in cold milk before adding into the flour. This way I get lukewarm milk.

3) I leave out 1/2 to 1 cup of flour instead of putting everything into the mixture and slowly add in the remaining as I see fit while kneading. This is because I am hoping to get a really soft dough.

4) I did not knead very hard and that long as suggested about 10mins, so the resulting dough is soft and fluffy but a little difficult to work with and maintain the beautiful ‘fan’ shape. However, I prefer soft and fluffy bread :)

I’ll try with harder dough next time so I can get the nice shape. Bwt, I love Korean a lot and looking forward to trying your recipes here!

Hi Mako,
      I don’t know what is korean tapioca sesame bread ball.. ^^ if you have any picture of it..it will help for me to guess what it is.. thanks
      after I answered it..I googled and found out what it is.. aha.. okay I will add it to my list. :)

• Mako says

Can not wait to see your recipe, please send me the link , thank you again!!!! :razz:

6. Ange says

I made the red bean paste buns for the first time, and it came out good, except that the bread came out a bit tough and chewy, instead of soft and flaky. I followed all of the directions according to the video, is there anything that I might have done wrong?

• Joyce says

you probably kneaded the dough for too long. Kneading bread causes the formation of strands of gluten, which is what makes bread chewy. Using high-protein content bread flour results in the same chewy product. For light fluffy bread, you should use the recommended flour type and knead only until the flour is all incorporated! :smile:

hi Pamela,
      I learned a new word from you today..”streusel” hehe.. I googled and found what it is.. anyway.. I will add it to my list. I can think something now..hehe

7. Suzanne says

Wonderful recipie!!! I followed exactly as you said, although I added in extra flour as I kneaded the dough, and it turned out great! Many thanks, because I was dying to try it at home!! :smile:

8. Steven says

This always happen to me. I tried making this but it came out hard and had a dough like taste. Also, it wasn’t golden brown, even though i brushed it with butter.

9. Rebecca says

As expected, the dough did not worked out. :sad: I really do not know why. The dough was too dry and unstrecthable. Please help because i really wanna make this bread :neutral: :cry:

hi Rebecca,
      Did you follow exact the same steps as I did ?? and the ingredients you used were same ?? I used American standard measuring spoons and cups… Only with your comment that your dough didn’t worked out.. i can’t guess what was your problem.. please let me know..answer my questions.. we can start from there.

• highd says

yeah it happened to me with a lot of bread, but it comes with practice and don’t add all the liquid at once to the flour, for me, i stir the flour mixture while I drizzle the liquid in. :)