Green Onion Kimchi

파김치, PaGimChi

Today, I will make my all-time favorite kimchi: green onion kimchi. It is called “pakimchi” (파김치) in Korean. For this, you need a special kind of green onion called “jjokpa” (쪽파) in Korean. It is a very thin and soft type of green onion. I couldn’t find thin green onions in the United States for a long time, but then one day, the grocery store had some that were a little thinner than normal. Since I was craving green onion kimchi, I was very excited to use them in this recipe. The result is pretty good and I am enjoying my green onion kimchi almost every day recently. It is very tasty, but it gives you strong onion breath. Other than that, I highly recommend you try this kimchi someday. ;)

Yield: ½ Gallon

• ChiTong (치통) = Toothache
  • BokTong (복통) = Abdominal Pain

• 100 Green Onions (1½ lb)
  • ½ Cup Fish Sauce
  • ½ Cup Hot Pepper Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
  • 1 Tbsp Garlic, Minced
  • 1 tsp Ginger, Minced

Sweet Rice Paste Ingredients

Obtain about 100 green onions (1½ lb). Cut off the roots and remove any bad parts. Wash them good.

Put the green onions in a large bowl and pour ½ cup of fish sauce evenly over the top. Gently turn the green onions to get them covered with the fish sauce. Set it aside for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sweet rice paste for the kimchi. Combine 1 cup of water and 2 Tbsp of sweet rice flour. Mix it good.

Cook it on medium-high until it stars to make bubble. Keep stirring it. Turn off the heat and let it cool down.

While salting the green onions with the fish sauce, occasionally turn them over, so that they will get salted evenly. After the 20 minutes are up, remove the green onions from the bowl and set them aside. The bowl will have some remaining fish sauce.

To make the kimchi paste, mix together the cooled sweet rice paste, ½ cup of hot pepper powder, 1 Tbsp of sugar, 1 Tbsp of sesame seeds, 1 Tbsp of minced garlic, and 1 tsp of minced ginger into the bowl with the fish sauce.

Put the green onions into the bowl with the kimchi paste.

Mix everything gently until the green onions get covered with the kimchi paste. I recommend wearing plastic gloves to protect your skin for this process. :)

Put the green onion kimchi into a glass jar or container. Set it aside for a day or two at room temperature. Then put it in the fridge for about 2 weeks, or until it has finished fermenting.

Fresh green onion kimchi is too strong to eat, so be patient and wait until it is well fermented. ;) Once it is done fermenting, it will be really good. Enjoy.

Comments

1. Jazmyn says

Hello Aeri!

I recently came across your website while searching for Green Onion Kim chi and I am addicted and a big fan now! :-)

I made my very first batch over the weekend and it was a success!

As you know, the older generation of Korean women do not measure so I’ve been looking for recipes for a while now.

It has always been difficult to understand my Mom’s measurements of her fingers and hand. heehee

Whenever you get a chance, can you please post “gut juh ri” kim chi?

Thanks so much!
    Jazmyn

hi Jazmyn,
      haha.. yes.. I know what you mean about Korean mom’s cooking styles. I also just cook food without measuring for our daily meals. To make it more accurate and consistency for my viewers. I try my best to measure every single ingredients when I make recipe. :) Okay I will make gut jeol i someday for you. ;) Thanks.

2. Elliot says

I followed this recipe exactly.. it tastes great!! It already tastes great!! Now I am waiting for it ferment and change flavor.

3. AM says

If I can’t get thin green onions, would it be okay to start with thicker ones and thin them down by peeling a few layers off?

4. Aescha says

hi Aeri,
    its so pleasant to meet your blog and more nice if i can get to meet you face to face. but its okay. im so happy just got to see youyr blog..because i can learn how to make my favourite foods such as kimchi and ddukbokki…thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and im really appreciates and really hopes we can share this happiness some day.. :razz:

5. Catherine says

I just came across your blog today in search of Korean side dishes. My husband is Korean and I am running out of ideas, so it was great to get such a multitude of ideas and recipes. Thanks a lot for sharing your secrets.
    By the way, I have a question for this kimchi and others too: can sweet rice flour be substituted with all purpose flour? I can’t find the rice flour anywhere where I live.

6. Shania says

Hello Aeri.. I am so happy to have found your site!! Your step by step instructions and video’s are amazing and give me so much confidence. Plus you give as much information as possible which I am very grateful for. I am half Korean and love Korean food but I can’t learn off my mum because she never measures anything and just adds it in, hehe.
    I have just purchased your book online here in Australia and just want to say thank you so much for taking the time and effort to teach us your wonderful cooking. God Bless you.

hi Shania,
      Your comment was very sweet. Thank you very much. I’m very glad to hear that our site is helpful for your Korean cooking. ^^ God bless you and your family too.

7. Shin Hye says

Hi Aeri

Hope you are alright & all in your family are well & fine? It’s been a while since your last post & I pray everything is OK. Take care & God Bless!~Shin Hye

I just discovered your blog and it looks amazing! Can’t wait to try some of the Korean reciepes. I’m from Kwangju myself but adopted to Sweden, where I grew up. Currently trying to get in touch with my Korean self (through food!) and this blog will definitely help me with that!
    Cheers from Pia (Mo-ran) in Dubai

9. Sharon says

Love your recipes! Do you happen to have one for the korean style potato salad? Whenever I visit a korean restaurant, they always serve this as a side dish!

10. Edina says

Hi, Aeris! You’re my favorite. Recipes are easy to understand. I’ve tried a few and it worked! I wish you good health to you, your baby and your family.

Hello Aeri,
    I love all your recipes and have tried a lot of them. However i’m trying to use up all the vegetables i have as side dishes and right now i have Green Leaf Lettuce. An abundance of them too. Can you please make a video on how to use green lettuce as a side dish? I tried it many times in korean restaurants but can never make out the ingredients. Thank you soooo much for sharing your wonderful family and recipes with us! :mrgreen:

12. Tiffany says

Hi Aeri, I tried to make the radish kimchi and followed your recipe closely. I couldn’t find the sweet rice flour so I used rice flour as a substitute. I left it to be fermented for one day and placed it in the fridge. After two days, I tasted it and it is very bland. SHould I add more salt or is it pointless to do that now? Help!

13. :D says

Aeri: While I am addecited to Garlic Chive kimchi, which tastes better: Garlic Chive kimchi or green onion kimchi? I will try making the green onion kimchi someday.

hi :D,
      oh..which kimchi is better ??? hmm…
      It is a difficult question to answer like… which one you prefer mom or dad ?? lol..I will say both are good ^^

14. Elly says

Hi aeri,
    this is an updated recipe, am I right?
    Back then I tried this recipe, but mine went bad and it was molded too…
    I substituted the sweet rice flour with all purpose flour…
    What do you think went wrong??

Greetings from Germany : D