Brown Sugar and Cinnamon HoTteok

호떡, HoTteok

Hoddeok is a “traditional” Korean street vendor food. Korean people love to eat this delicious snack especially in the cold winter. It tastes best when it is warm. You can find the ingredients for this recipe easily anywhere, so I highly recommend this one. Do you like sticky buns or pecan rolls? If so, I bet you will love this.

Yield: 16 Pieces

• DdahngKong (땅콩) = Peanut
  • GyePi (계피) = Cinnamon

• ½ Cup Warm Water
  • ½ Tbsp Yeast
  • ½ Tbsp Sugar
  • 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • ½ Tbsp Salt

Filling Ingredients

• ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
  • ¼ Cup Sugar
  • 15 Chopped Peanuts (1½ Tbsp)
  • ½ tsp Cinnamon

In ½ cup of warm water, add ½ Tbsp of yeast and ½ Tbsp of Sugar. Set it in warm place for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift 3 cups of all-purpose flour in a large bowl.

Add the yeast mixture, 1 cup of milk, and ½ Tbsp of salt into the bowl. Knead the dough. Because the dough is sticky, add flour to your hands.

Form the dough into a ball and cover it with plastic wrap.

Set the dough in the oven with just the light on for 3 hours. The heat from the light bulb is enough to make it rise.

After 3 hours, it will double in size.

To make the filling, combine ¼ cup of brown sugar, ¼ cup of sugar, 1½ Tbsp of chopped peanuts, and ½ tsp of cinnamon. Mix everything together.

Place the peanuts inside of a zipper bag crush them with something like the back of a knife.

Oil your hands before working with the dough. Take piece of dough a little larger than a golf ball, then roll and flatten it. Add a spoonful of the filling to the center.

Wrap the dough around the filling.

Smooth it.

Pour some oil into a pre-heated pan on med-high. Place the dough balls into the pan.

About 10 seconds later, flip them over and flatten them with a spatula.

Fry until both sides of the hoddeok become golden brown.

Oh! They look good. *^^*

Comments

1. zeydaaa_ says

Hi! I’ve seen a few hotteok recipes but yours has milk in it… does milk make it tastier?

Thanks for the recipe!! I was wondering, how long should I cook them. I just made some and they turned out great. Just that my Hoddeok came out a little doughy.

3. Hannahw says

I just tried making these yesterday and they were so good! But is there any other kinds of fillings I can use instead?

4. Earl says

Hello Aeri,

Your voice is so familiar to me, then I remember I saw 3 cooking demo on Youtube, I think it was you. Anyway, I like you recipes because its easy to do. Unlike my korean recipe books which I purchased, yours is simple and very clear. Thank you for creating these videos. It helps me a lot to prepare different korean dishes including banchan and gansik for my husband and visitors. :smile:

By the way, can I use small red beans? Because there are no available korean red beans here and I want to make red bean paste.. thank you~^^

• earl says

Hello Aeri,

Im happy to share with you that I successfuly made it. It was very delicious and perfect! I made 4 kinds of recipes from the red bean paste: 1 original recipe and 3 fusion style. I added few ingredients in it. Yes, I always do the fusion bec Im fond of creating and innovating recipes and Ive also been exposed to different cultures.

Thank you again. :)

5. Heather says

Hello Aeri,
    I lived in Korea for 2 years with my husband when he was stationed there, we have been back in the states for a year now. Your website has been a godsend for me and my cravings for the Korean cuisine I’ve missed so much. I wanted to know what kind/brand of yeast you are using? Thank you =]

6. Alena says

Hi Aeri, was just back from korea n had tried this street snack at Myeongdong (it as raining n super cold!!). Love it very much. So glad you’ve the recipe for it. Thanks!! ;D

7. mariah says

I just made these and they are so tasty.I used wall nuts instead of peanuts and it’s really good. They remind me of a crispy version of cinnamon buns. My parents love them to,thank you for posting this awesome recipe :smile:

8. Thaís says

Hello Aeri!
    First, my name is Thaís, I am Brazilian and I am a big admirer from Korean cuisine. But I prefer to do the food in my house than eating in restaurants, therefore I loved your blog, it helped me a lot. Thank you!
    Second, I would like to say that the recipe HoTTeok I substitute the peanuts for Brazil nuts (Do you know?) and was also very good.
    Bye!!

hi Thaís,
      Nice to meet you. :) I’m happy to hear that you liked my hotteok recipe. Yes, I know Brazil nuts.. they are very healthy and taste good.
      Good job ~~ :) Thanks

hi acapella,
      I’m not that big fan of cinnamon..but love the flavor in this food.. so trust me..and try it with cinnamon if you can find it. :) of course you can make it without it too..but then you will lose some good flavor.

9. Chrissi says

Hello Aeri,

Thank you for the recipe! I used coconut milk (for drinking, not the canned kind) instead of normal milk. It turned out really well! :)

10. Jane says

Hi Aeri! Thanks so much for this wonderful website. I made the hotteok and it was delicious. I substituted chopped pecans for the peanuts, worked just fine. Thanks again!

11. Pamila says

Thank you for this recipe. I love 호떡 – I get it every time I go to Insadong. I want to introduce it to my family in the USA so they too can have a little bit of Korea!

12. Chelsea says

Love your recipes. Thanks so much for sharing. Although I haven’t tried this Hoddeok recipe yet but will sure do in the future. Recently we were given a box of Hoddeok mix and the instructions are in Korean. It’s a wheat flour mix. It’s a Samyang brand. Inside, there are 2 bags plus a small pouch of yeast. If you’re familiar with that brand, do you think that you guide me on how to make it? Thanks!

13. KRak says

I love your website! I want to learn to cook more Korean food for my husband, and this is such a great place to help me! (If you ask a Korean person how to make something, they say “watch me” and they don’t give measurements of anything)
    I was wondering, for this recipe, can you omit the peanut and still have a great tasting snack? Or is there a different substitute? My son has nut allergies, so we cannot have any nuts in our food. thank you!

hi KRak,
      haha.. you are so true. If it was not recipe to post, I will just add ingredients without measuring too. lol I have to measure every single ingredients to post an accurate and easy recipes. :wink: you can skip peanuts.. if he likes.. can add a little big of sesame seeds… or just skip..and use just cinnmon and sugar.. thanks

14. nico says

Hi, Aeri! I am in culinary school and am planning to make this tomorrow for my practical
    but I have a limited time of 1 1/2 to make this :(
    is it possible to just let the dough rise for 1 hour ? or less ?
    I really want to make this for my instructor but I have such limited time i was just wondering. thanks!! :)

hi nico,
      Oh, I’m very sorry for late reply. I couldn’t check my messages on blog often these days. I wonder what you did for your class. I’m sorry again.