Black Bean Paste

춘장, ChunJang

Black Bean Paste
The black bean paste, called chunjang (춘장) is made from roasted soybeans. When it is unheated, it is called chunjang (literally “spring paste”), while the heated sauce (containing vegetables and meat or seafood) is called jajang (literally “fried sauce”). Onion dipped in the sauce also taste good. Koreans use this paste for balck bean noodles. (JaJangMyun=자장면)

Read more from Wikipedia…

• Use:
    Sauce for Black Bean Paste Myeon (JajangMyeon)

• Storage:
    Keep in the refrigerator.

• Types:
    Used Korean brand for this recipe.

• Gom (곰) = Bear
  • SaJa (사자) = Lion

Comments

Hi Ariel,
      I don’t know one for worldwide..but I think Amazon sells for some countries and Sempio has many Korean food products at amazon.. please check them out. Thanks

1. Rebecca says

Hello Aeri,
    I was wondering how long can i keep black bean paste in the fridge once opened.
    I know gochujang and soybean paste can be kept quite a long time, but what about black bean paste?

Thank you.

• Rebecca says

Hello Aeri,

Thank you for your reply. It is almost impossible for me to find black bean paste in France. I got some when travelling to Korea so my jajang packages are like precious treasure for me^^. I was afraid i would have to throw the remaining jajang away, or eat jajangmyun for an entire week! Happy new year!

hi Rebecca,
          hehe.. I’m glad that you didn’t throw away that precious black bean paste. Yes, I truly understand it.. I also have difficulties to get Korean ingredients around in some degree.. so.. anyway..Thanks happy new year to you too. :)

2. Ines says

Hello ! Thank you so much to making korean cooking videos !
    I want to do Jjajangmyun but I can’t found Black bean paste.. I know that you don’t know how makes black bean paste but I saw that you buy in amazon some korean ingredients food So can you put black bean paste in amazon please ? I just found black bean sauce :sad:
    Sorry for my bad english :oops:

3. michelin says

Dear Aeri,
    does this paste suitable for vegetarian? I have a vegetarian friend whom I wish to recommend this if it’s ok. Thanks!

4. ymasea25 says

Hi Aeri

Looks really delicious. However, what other recipes can the black bean paste be used b’cos the bottle looks big and I’ll probably have to cook jajangmyung for many more dinners.

Thnx for the cooking lesson. Bless You.