Zucchini NaMul

애호박 나물, AeHoBak NaMul

This is another version of a Korean zucchini side dish. My sister-in-law gave me a very fresh zucchini from her garden the other day, so I made this delicious side dish. When I was a kid, I liked making a simple bibimbap with this whenever my mom made it. To make that simple bibimbap, mix some cooked rice, this side dish, red pepper paste, kimchi, a fried egg, and some sesame oil to make a wonderfully simple bibimbap. :) If you are a vegetarian, you can skip the anchovies. And you can skip the hot pepper if you don’t like spicy food.

• HoBahk (호박) = Pumpkin
  • SuBahk (수박) = Watermelon

• 3 Cups Zucchini
  • ½ Cup Onion
  • 1 tsp Hot Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp Cooking Oil
  • Some Sesame Seeds for Garnish

Broth Ingredients

To make the broth, add ½ cup of water, 1 dried anchovy pack, and 3 pieces of kelp in a pan. Once it starts to boil, cook for 3 minutes on high.

Meanwhile, chop 3 cups of zucchini, ½ cup of an onion, and the hot pepper.

3 minutes later, remove only the kelp from the broth.

Add the zucchini and onion to the broth.

Then, add ½ tsp of salt and 1 tsp of cooking oil. Cook for 3 minutes on high or until the zucchini become soft.

Add the hot pepper and cook for another minute. Depending on how spicy you like it, adjust the amount of the hot pepper. Two to three pieces of thinly chopped pepper were enough for me.

Turn off the heat and drizzle ½ tsp of sesame oil on top. In this step, remove the dried anchovy pack. However, if you use dried anchovies, you can just leave them in the dish to eat. (You can remove them too if you want.)

Before serving, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!

Comments

Hi Aeri, thanks to your inspiration I just finished eating a simple one-vegetable + fried egg bibimbap, and it was good! I thought you had to make it with a lot of banchan but I only had a cucumber namul on hand. Thanks!

hi MankyCat,
      you can use either large or medium.. whatever you like to use.. normally large anchovies are more for making broth..and you threw them away after you make broth.. medium ones are good for broth too.. but it’s more used for soup.. or side-dish.. you keep the anchovies and eat .. thanks

2. Janice says

What do you mean by “red pepper past”? Is it red pepper paste? I want to try and make the simple bibimbap, as i love bibimbap! Thanks.

3. Leisha says

Hey Aeri,

I’m in Busan now and I just had this and fell in love with it. How did you magically know I wanted this recipe. You are amazing ~ :)

Hi,
    I just discovered your blog recently. Thanks for posting these recipes! This looks like something fun and easy to make. I’m curious though — do you drain the broth before drizzling the sesame oil? The final picture looks drained. Thanks!

hi Jeff,
      Nope I didn’t drain the broth.. the zucchini will add some water to the broth..but while it’s cooking.. it will be reduced also.. thanks