Garlic Chive Kimchi

부추 김치, BuChu GimChi

This garlic chive kimchi is one of my favorite types of kimchi. This recipe doesn’t require any soaking in salt water, which makes it easier and quicker to make. Garlic chives have their own unique flavor and they are healthy. The down side is, you might smell like garlic after eating, but it is very delicious and worth it. :)

Yield: 1½ Quarts

• NaemSae (냄새) = Smell
  • MahNeul (마늘) = Garlic

• 10 Cups Garlic Chives (20 oz)
  • 1⅓ Cup Onion
  • 3 Tbsp Red Hot Pepper
  • ½ Cup Fish Sauce
  • ⅔ Cup Red Pepper Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1½ Tbsp Minced Garlic
  • 1½ Tbsp Sesame Seeds

Rice Mixture Ingredients

In a pan, add 1½ cups of water and 3 Tbsp of sweet rice flour. Mix well to dissolve the flour. You can use normal flour if you don’t have sweet rice flour.

Boil it on medium-high until it starts to make bubbles. Cool it down while you are preparing the other ingredients.

Prepare about 10 cups (20 ounces) of garlic chives. Remove any bad parts from both ends, rinse, and drain the water.

Chop the garlic chives into about 2-inch lengths. Slice 1⅓ cups of onion and 3 Tbsp of a red hot pepper into ¼-inch pieces.

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the cooled rice mixture, ½ cup of fish sauce, ⅔ cup red pepper powder, 2 Tbsp of sugar, 1½ Tbsp of minced garlic, and 1½ Tbsp of sesame seeds. The fish sauce will change the saltiness for this kimchi so, depending on your taste, you can adjust the amount of fish sauce. Mix everything together.

Add the garlic chives, onions, and peppers into the kimchi paste.

Mix them all together gently. Unlike the other kimchi recipes, this one goes directly into the refrigerator because garlic chive kimchi ferments faster.

It looks delicious. You can eat it fresh or fermented. I kept eating this kimchi again and again, so it is already half gone. :) It is absolutely one of my favorite types of kimchi. Please try it someday. :D Thank you.

Comments

Hey Aeri, I just made this dish & it taste delicious! Thanks for the recipe & for sure I am going to try the rest of the ur posted recipe. Take care & keep posting. Woohoo!

2. morgen says

Today I am making this kimchi the second time. Here is the question…I finish the first time kimchi and still have a lot of kimchi sauce on the bottom of my plastic box. I wonder if I can just directly put my garlic chive with the sauce without making new kimchi paste? Thanks a lot!

3. morgen says

Thanks a lot for replying. I really appreciate. Today I eat the kimchi, and it is so GOOD! Only it is still too hot for me, even though I only put a little bit of hot pepper paste. Here is One more question: Whenever making Kimchi, you got to add the spicy like hot pepper powder or red hot pepper…? I like onion, ginger, and garlic, but hot pepper powder or red hot pepper is too much for me.

I heard that spicy is important to make kimchi. But why is that? If I don’t put anything like that, then what will happen to my kimchi?

4. morgen says

Today I washed chive and then I couldn’t wait for them to dry and I just made the kimchi. My question is that will the kimchi go bad because the chive has water?Actually I want to ask, whenever we make kimchi, the water need to be removed totally? And because I dare not eat too spicy so I only put a little bit of hot pepper paste. I will be very appreciate if you can answer my question.Thanks a lot!

hi morgen,
      Garlic chive itself will not absorb the water..it’s just some outside.. so it is okay if you didn’t completely dry them for your kimchi. Napa cabbage .. or radish kimchi.. you don’t want to get too much water in your kimchi..that’s why you try to drain out the water from them.. since when they soak them in salt water.. they will absorb lots of water.. thanks

5. Myha says

Yay! Finally found a recipe for chives :) I have a large patch growing under/ around one of our pomegranate trees and up until recently, it has all gone to waste because no one in my family really eats garlic chives. My father always end up cutting off the chives and disposing them in the bin for greens.
    Anyway, I’m happy to have stumbled across this recipe while browsing through your website! I’m sure it’ll be delicious and the chives growing in my garden will be wasted no more! :D

6. csyama says

Just made this kimchi yesterday and it was delicious! So nice to know that I can make this anytime from the garlic chives in my garden! Love your recipes–just to my taste! Kamsamhamnida Aeri! :grin:

7. Felicia says

My husband hates seafood, so he doesn’t like fish sauce or oyster sauce… what can i substitute this with

hi Felicia,
      My husband doesn’t like fish sauce or oyster sauce either..but he eats my kimchi. Fish sauce definitely give good flavor to kimchi but.. since your husband doesn’t like it.. I will say use salt instead of it. or reduce the amount of fish sauce and see if he still doesn’t like the kimchi. :)

• Zwaalie says

You could also opt for using soy sauce. I usually make my kimchi without fish sauce because my vegetarian friends will be able to eat it too. Though you might feel there is something missing in flavor when freshly made without the fish sauce, this will decline after more fermentation.

8. sirdanilot says

I’m making the kimchi right now with garlic chives from my garden! I’m sure it will be delicious, and what’s better, my chives will grow again for free so I can make more and more and more !

9. victoria says

I am literally addiced to chive kimchi and i mwke it with fish sauce, garlic, red pepper powder and salt only because i cant remake the first bach I ever tried which had a sweeter taste th. This recipe looks like it may be what I’ve been misssing. I HOPE SO! :grin:

10. Carolyn says

hi Aeri,

I am curious…with regards to the garlic chive kimchi…what is the difference between garlic chives and asian chives…I shop at the Hong Kong Market here in New Orleans, and I’ve never seen Garlic chives…so please may I have a complete photo of it..because they look the same as regular Asian chives…thank you for your help.

11. Ma Jie (마걸) says

Hi Aeri! I made this recipe today, and I think I’m addicted. It is absolutely delicious — better than any kimchi I’ve had here, at restaurants, where I live (and in Toronto, Canada we have a fairly large Korean population).

I love your web site.

- Jie (Geol)

hi Ma Jie (마걸),
      Nice to meet you.
      Wow, that’s a real compliment. hehe thank you very much. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your garlic chive kimchi. hehe

• Ma Jie says

Hi Aeri. The kimchi was excellent!!! I finished the entire batch in 4 days! And I have a larger batch, with 30 cucumbers, fermenting in my kitchen right now.

I don’t actually live in Korea; I live in Canada. I know Chinese (and very, very minimal Korean) because I hold a university degree in East Asian Studies. I’ve studied cheyong (체용/體用) and tong bulgyo (통불교) in some depth, for example.

Cheers, and thanks again for all your recipes. I shall try the Pumpkin Juk tomorrow ^__^

• Ma Jie says

Hi Aeri. This kimchi is just fantastic! I used it, tonight, to top homemade turkey burgers, and it really added a ton of flavour.

Thanks again! I look forward to trying many of your amazing recipes.

hi Ma Jie,
            haha.. homemade turkey burgers with garlic chives.. interesting.. ^^ that was an awesome idea.. maybe we can try that too for our homemade burger someday.. thanks :)

12. crzycpl says

Hi Aeri! If I halve the amount of garlic chives (i.e. use only 10 oz of garlic chives), do I also halve the kimchi paste mixture? Will that work?

hi crzycpl,
      Since you have half amount of garlic chives (10oz) than the garlic chives(20oz) in my recipe.. I will say cut the recipe amount for all the ingredients in half..and do same steps.

hi :D,
      You can eat it fresh.. or if you want it fermented.. maybe 1 or 2 weeks will be enough for perfect time for eating… ^^ but even after that.. you can still keep it in the refrigerator and eat for several more weeks. ^^

13. :D says

Thank you Aeri!

I love garlic chives and I can’t wait to try this recipe. I love kimchi and I can’t wait to make this. Two questions:

1. How long can you store this in the refrigerator?

2. Can you make kimchi pancake with this?

hi :D,
      Sorry for late reply. I already answered your question to other comment..but anyway.. You can keep it for several weeks. Yes you can use garlic chive kimchi for kimchi pancake. thanks

14. Kim says

your website is wonderful! i made the garlic chive kimchi for my korean husband and he LOVED it!!! thanks for helping me cook good korean food! :razz:

15. csyama says

Looks delicious! I will be making this for my family as soon as I have enough chives in the garden. BTW, how is Bryson? My granddaughter is now 5 1/2 months old.

16. sry3oh says

I found your youtube videos.. and then discovered your website! You are an amazing cook! I am very impressed!! :) Just want to give you my support :D!!!! i will try to cook some of the recipe during my school holidays.. hehe ^^ are you staying in America?