Perilla and Beef Jeon

깻잎 고기전, GgaetNip GoGiJeon

Beef and perilla jeon is a creative way of cooking perilla leaves. I like food with a good match of flavors in various ingredients. This food is a perfect example. The unique flavor of perilla tastes great with marinated beef. My husband is still not accustomed to the flavor of perilla, so he usually does not like it. However, he loved this perilla jeon. He said that the raw perilla taste is not strong; the jeon just tastes great. :) So, if you see perilla leaves in a Korean or Asian grocery store, please try this someday. :D

Yield: 15 Pieces

• ½ Tbsp Garlic
  • 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
  • ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
  • ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
  • Some Cooking Oil for Frying

Beef Ingredients

• 1 tsp Cooking Wine (Optional)
  • ⅛ tsp Salt
  • ⅛ tsp Black Pepper

Marinate 1 cup of ground beef (or pork) in 1 tsp of cooking wine, ⅛ tsp of salt, and ⅛ tsp of black pepper for at least 10 minutes.

Finely chop ¼ cup worth of onion, 2 Tbsp worth of carrot, 1½ Tbsp worth of green onion, and ½ Tbsp worth of garlic.

Wash ¼ cup worth of firm tofu once and squeeze it in a paper towel to remove some of the liquid from it.

Combine the marinated beef, chopped vegetables, tofu, 1 egg, 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, ½ Tbsp of sesame oil, and ⅛ tsp of black pepper in a mixing bowl. Mix so that all of the ingredients stick together nicely.

Rinse about 15 medium sized perilla leaves and set them aside to dry out.

On a flat plate, pour about ¼ cup of flour. Evenly flour the backside of a perilla leaf. The flour helps the beef mixture stick to the perilla leaf.

Spread about 1 Tbsp of beef mixture on one half of the floured side of the perilla leaf. About a quarter inch thickness of beef will be good.

Fold the perilla leaf in half and cover the outer surface with flour.

In a flat bowl, break 2 large eggs and whisk them gently. Mix in 2 pinches of salt. Dip both sides of the floured perilla leaf in the egg mixture.

Fry the egg-dipped perilla leaves in a heated and generously oiled pan.

It is important that the beef gets completely cooked, without burning the perilla leaves. So, fry each side of the jeon for about 7 to 8 minutes on medium or medium-low with patience. When one side is done, flip, and fry the other side for another 7 to 8 minutes.

We normally make this kind of food during our traditional holidays in Korea. However, you can make this any time of the year. You can also eat them just plain or as a side dish. It is delicious and pretty to serve. ;)

Comments

1. Vanessa says

Thanks for this excellent recipe! I just made it, and then made some fried patties with the leftover ingredients. It’s so delicious! 감사합니다 from Korea!

2. Tam says

Hi Aeri, I love this recipe. My friend gave me perilla plants this year and I found your site when looking for something to use them for. I did a vegie version with Quorn mince and it was absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much. :grin:

3. Aimee says

Thank you for this delicious recipe, Aeri. I grew perilla in my garden, and my husband, 22-month-old and I enjoyed your perilla jeon with our dinner tonight. It was perfect. Thank you for the hard work you do to help us be able to enjoy Korean food far from Korea. :-)

4. Shin Hyo Ae says

Hi Aeri…
    i just visited Korea last april and i tried a deliciuos skewer sausage that covered with fluor and sweet potato and after that they fried it and give some tomato sauce on it.
    could you share the recipe to me? pleaseeee….
    i really love all thing about Korea…

5. Shin Hyo Ae says

Hi Aeri…
    i just visited Korea last april and i tried a deliciuos skewer sosis that covered with fluor and sweet potato and after that they fried it and give some tomato sauce on it.
    could you share the recipe to me? pleaseeee…. :smile:
    i really love all thing about Korea…

hi John Thompson,
      Oh.. basil.. I’ve never tried it for this before..but sounds interesting. If you try, let me know how it turned out. ^^ hehe thanks

6. Kendra says

I think this is my 3rd or 4th recipe I have made for your blog and I just love this! This was my boyfriends first time having perilla leaves and he loved them. Thank you for sharing this :)

7. Charles Beauregard says

This looks so good-I grew so much perilla last year that I didn’t know what to do with it. As soon as I get some I will try this.
    Thanks,
    Charles

8. Bo says

I have been looking for another way to utilize perilla. This one looks like a winner. Btw… My husband wants to know if he can rent Bryson … Only for about 18 years! He wants grand children so badly and he thinks your little man is so cute

hi Bo,
      Unni~~ hehe.. It sounds like.. your husband can be a very sweet pappap… ;) your comment made me smile as usual. Thanks. Try this recipe someday. I bet you will love it. ;) miss you ~~~
      p.s Please tell your husband “hi” for us and tell thanks.