Zucchini BuChim

애호박 부침, AeHoBak BuChim

This is a simple version of Korean zucchini fritters. Typically, we cover sliced zucchini pieces with flour, and then dip them into an egg mixture before frying them. However, today I will just dip the zucchini into a flour batter. You can eat these delicious zucchini fritters plain, but slightly dipping them into a soy sauce mixture makes them tasty even better. It is good for a lunch box, party appetizer, or as a side dish for normal meals. If you are a vegan, you can skip the egg and add a little bit more water to the batter. :D

Yield: 3 Dozen Fritters

• ShinBal (신발) = Shoes
  • YangMal (양말) = Socks

• 1 Large Zucchini (3 cups, 14 oz)
  • ½ tsp Salt for the Zucchini
  • ⅔ Cup Flour
  • 1 Egg
  • ⅓ Cup Water
  • ⅛ tsp Salt
  • Some Red Pepper (Optional)

Dipping Sauce

Slice 1 large zucchini (14 oz) into ¼-inch pieces. You will get about 3 cups (35 pieces).

Sprinkle ½ tsp of salt on the zucchini and mix gently. Set the mixture aside while you are making the batter.

Finely chop some red pepper. The main purpose of this is for garnishing, so it is optional.

In a mixing bowl, combine ⅓ cup of water, 1 egg, ⅔ cup flour, and ⅛ tsp of salt. Mix well.

The consistency will be a little thicker than pancake batter.

Dip the zucchini into the batter.

Place the zucchini in a generously oiled and heated pan. Keep the temperature on medium.

Place 3 or 4 pieces of chopped red pepper in the center of the zucchini on just on one side.

Fry them until one side of the zucchini becomes nicely golden brown.

Flip them over and cook them until the other side becomes golden brown.

Here are some tips for making the fritters nicely golden brown: don’t fry them at a high temperature and don’t flip them over too often.

To make the dipping sauce, combine 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, ½ tsp of vinegar, and ½ tsp of water. Mix well. If you don’t want dipping sauce, you can add a little more salt into the batter instead.

Soft zucchini fried with a crispy batter tastes good. The soy sauce and vinegar gives this zucchini fritter even better flavor. Try it someday. Thanks. :D

Comments

1. Jy.L says

I finally found this recipe!! I’ve been searching this for a very long time, and i finally found it here. Thankyou so much for posting this!

2. Loulipouce says

Hello Aeri! Thank you for this very simple but delicious recipe! I tried this today and it it took me very little time to do (and to eat!! :oops: ) Everyone loved it!

hi Bo,
      my answer is.. Yes or no.. hehe.. the taste will be similar..but this fritter doesn’t have onion in it..and the texture will be a little different.. try it someday..this is good. :)

3. Gigi Lee says

i hv tried your recipe! it is super finger licking good! i m not satisfied with plain soy sauce as dipping, instead i adds in bit of sesame oil, pinch of sesame seeds and some corn syrup…wow yum yum:)

hi Gigi Lee,
      I like my dipping sauce most with soysauce, some apple vinegar, water..^^ my husband likes to add a little bit of red pepper powder in it. thanks

4. John says

I like making this one but i always have left over batter. Can i store it in the fridge and use it for the whole week?:)

hi John,
      You don’t want to keep your batter in a refrigerator more than one day.. =P just make the fritters and keep them in the refrigerator.. heat them before you eat in toaster oven.. stove.. or microwave.. ^^ thanks

5. Jessica says

Thank you for this recipe. I’m a novice cook. This was so easy to make and my family loved it. The only thing is when I place the zucchini in the batter, I have to spread it around a lot because the batter slides off from the zucchini. Otherwise, this is great!

Hi Jessica,
      I’m very happy to hear that your family loved it. I think this batter is kind of thick not runny so it shouldn’t be slide off like that. Anyway my tip about it next time is, cover the zucchini with small amount of flour before you add them to the batter. That will help the zucchini stick to the batter better. :D

6. mima says

are you sure the water and flour measurement is correct? because the mixture was very very thick…kinda of stinky. 2/3 cup of flour and 1/3 water right? by the way what flour is that? I used all purpose flour

hi mima,
      yes to post a recipe.. each time I measure the amount.. I know what you mean by.. too thick.. because I felt same way when I made the batter..(I can’t say it was very very thick.. =P) but when I added the egg and zucchini later.. the batter was right. (The zucchini will get some moisture after you set it aside with sprinkling some salt ) yes.. I used all purpose flour.

7. Poeh says

To tell you the truth, when I was younger I wasn’t really fond of zucchini. Probably because my mom made zucchini soft and soggy like stir frying cucumber. But after
    I’d tried your other zucchini dishes. I am hooked and eat it ever so often! This one looks really yummy. I am definitely going to try this one out. I still have a half zucchini in my fridge after making an glass noodle salad and having chamchi samgak kimbap today hehe. =]

8. Greentea00 says

hi, i just found u thru youtube looking for korean recipes this week..i luv ur videos, they r very clear and easy to understand.I luv korean food sooooo much !!! and also korean tv shows too!! thanks and look forward to see moe of ur good korean recipes and stuff!