Spicy TteokBokkI

떡볶이, TteokBokkI

TteokBokkI (떡볶이) is one of the most popular Korean street foods. Since the way to cook this food is very easy and simple, Korean people often make it at home too. Depending on your personal tastes, you can make it spicier or sweeter. This snack has many different names according to its ingredients such as cheese TteokBokkI, RaBokkI (Ramen noodles), GanJang TteokBokkI, or GungJung TteokBokkI (soy sauce).

• EoRinEe (어린이) = Child
  • EoRinEeDeul (어린이들) = Children

• 2 Cups (15) Sticky Rice Cake Sticks
  • 2 Fried Fish Cakes
  • 1 Cup Cabbage
  • ⅔ Cup Onion
  • ½ Cup Carrot
  • 1 Green Onion

Broth Ingredients

Sauce Ingredients

Slice ½ cup worth of an onion into quarter inch pieces. Cut ½ cup worth of a carrot diagonally. Cut 1 green onion into ½-inch pieces. Cut ⅔ cup worth of cabbage into quarter inch pieces.

To make the broth, boil 2½ cups of water, 6 pieces of kelp, 2 pieces of fish cake, and 1 dried anchovy pack together for about 10 minutes. The dried anchovy pack is optional.

Remove the kelp, fish cakes, and anchovy pack from the broth. Keep the fish cakes for later and discard the kelp and anchovy pack.

Cut the cooked fish cakes and the sticky rice cakes into 2 inch pieces.

In the broth, add 3 Tbsp of red pepper paste, 1 Tbsp of red pepper powder, 2 Tbsp of corn syrup, ½ Tbsp of sugar, 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, and ½ Tbsp of minced garlic. Depending on your taste, you can make your tteokbokki sweeter or spicier by changing the amount of sugar or red pepper paste. If you can’t eat too spicy food, skip the red pepper powder. You can use sugar instead of corn syrup. Cook it for 5 minutes on medium-high.

Add the rice cakes, carrot, onion, and cabbage into the broth.

Cook it for about 5 minutes until the rice cakes become soft on medium-high.

Add the fish cakes and cook for 1 more minute.

Add the green onion, cook for another minute, and then turn off the heat.

Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of TteokBokKi to serve.

Enjoy! :D

Comments

hi Sophie,
      I bought it in a Korean grocery store in USA. Some Korea store might not have it..because it is more common to use dried anchovies for Korean cuisine..instead of the dried anchovy packs I use… so if you can not get it you can replace it to dried anchovy pieces instead. Thanks :)

1. nie704 says

Hi Aeri. I want to ask something. Can I use raw anchovies instead of dried anchovies for the brooth? Or it’ll be taste better without anchovies?
    Thank you.. I love your recipe..

2. nie704 says

Hi Aeri.. I want to ask something. Can I put raw anchovies instead of dried anchovies for brooth? Or it will be better without anchovies at all? It a little bit hard to find unsalted dried anchovies at here.. Thank you very much. I love your recipe..

3. Amanda says

Hai Aeri,
    May i know is it ok to use local(Malaysia) chili paste & is it ok if not using kelp, and anchovy pack ?

4. Nat says

I super love this recipe! My friends and i cook this recipe whenever we miss seoul. Thanks aeri for sharing this recipe.

By the way, can i use maple syrup instead of corn syrup? ^.^ thanks!

hi Nat,
      I’m glad that you and your friend enjoy my recipe. Thanks :) About your question, since maple syrup has it’s own strong flavor.. I will say use sugar instead of corn syrup… If you still want to try maple syrup, it’s up to you though. ^^

5. Han says

This is the best spicy ddeokbokki recipe I’ve found. I made it for dinner this evening and it was so delicious! I’ll have to try out your Gunjung version soon :)

6. bokja says

Hey Aeri,

If i use sugar instead of corn syrup, will the taste be the same? And can i use gochujang only and not using the chilli powder? Also must i use
    korean soy sauce?

Hope to hear from you soon as i will cook this dish soon.

Cheers
    Bokja xx

hi bokja,
      Sorry for late reply. Yes, you can use sugar instead.. you can also use only gochujang if that;s what you want.. if you skip soy sauce.. you might need something else like salt to adjust the saltness.. thanks